DFRWS Challenge 2011

<<

sil

Post Fri May 20, 2011 2:05 pm

DFRWS Challenge 2011

For those into foresics:

http://www.dfrws.org/2011/challenge/

Scenario 1: Suspicious Death

Donald Norby was found dead in his home with a single bullet to the head. It is unclear whether this is a suicide or homicide. The largest question revolves around the victim's potential connections to an organized criminal group called KRYPTIX. You have been asked to perform a forensic examination of Norby’s Android device found at the scene in order to determine his activities and, possibly, who he communicated with prior to his death. Your ultimate goal is to determine whether he killed himself or was murdered and provide any further leads to the investigator.

The device was acquired using what the agent considered to be industry best practices. The device flash storage as well as removable media was collected. See the case specific logs for more information.

I always do these challenges, most of the times just to stay focused. I rarely submit results though. Anyhow, for those looking for challenges or to just get sample data to work with, there are two scenarios there.

*fires up FTK + EnCase* (yes I use both simultaneously to replicate results.
<<

sil

Post Mon May 23, 2011 10:16 am

Re: DFRWS Challenge 2011

The Quick and the Dead - Android Forensics using nothing but FTK ... Dirty primer, I was bored

http://www.infiltrated.net/droidphorensix/
<<

lorddicranius

Post Mon May 23, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm not a forensics guy, but that was really fun/interesting to watch :)
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

sil

Post Mon May 23, 2011 2:33 pm

I chose to do it with FTK because I didn't want to recompile my kernel for yffs2. Also, Encase was being a PITA trying to read the images.
<<

R3B005t

Post Tue May 24, 2011 9:11 am

Sil what version of FTK are you using? Have you gotten your hands on the latest release?  Just wondering what your impressions are..  BTW I love the forensic challenges, hard to stay on top of all of em  ;D
<<

sil

Post Tue May 24, 2011 10:03 am

I hate the latest versions of both FTK and EnCase. I swap between 1.81.6 and 1.50 (laptop has older, too lazy to upgrade) About to do the entire thing in Linux in a bit.

Return to Forensics