Difference between C|EH and eLearnSecurity

<<

birdofbeauty11

Post Sun May 15, 2011 11:18 am

Difference between C|EH and eLearnSecurity

Hello everyone,

I am new to the information security field, and would like to go into penetration testing. At this time, I have a Masters in Computer Science and a graduate certificate in Information Security and Privacy from UNC Charlotte.

I was doing research and I came across eLearnSecurity class on pentesting. (At this time I would have to do the student version and work my way up to the pro version), and found the content interesting, and was really impressed with the price along with being able to have lifelong access to the material.

Then I came to this site, and noticed that people were writing about C|EH. After going to their site, I found their information to be impressive as well. The only drawback is the price... $2K (I want to do the self-paced class since I will work full-time). I also read reviews where people said this cert was too easy, and that employers did not really value this cert. So I am nervous about spending 2K on a class that may or may not be beneficial.

I know some people may say, "Why are they so concerned with price?" It's because I will pay for this out of my own pocket. I can sleep easy at night over $700, but it would be a little harder over 2K.

At this point, I was more inline to do the C|EH because it seemed more suitable for a beginner (which is what I will be, since I have not done any pentesting before) and it seems to cover a lot of ground.

Are there websites that compare C|EH and the pentesting of eLearnSecurity? Or is this comparing apples to oranges?

If someone can send me a response, that would be great.

Note: If this question was asked before, I would like to apologize for a repost. I looked through the different forum topics and did not see this question posed.

Thanks
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun May 15, 2011 11:40 am

Re: Difference between C|EH and eLearnSecurity

Hey birdofbeauty11,

Welcome to the forums!

There was a review written here awhile back on the eLearnSecurity course. It's attracted a lot of attention as being dubbed, 'What the CEH should have been'. I've taken the course last year and they seem very open to course suggestions because they're always looking to tailor the course to students demands. They've even opened a feedback area for the eLS PTP Pro course here. The eLearnSecurity folks have added a lot to the course since that review was made and even a few more modications since the eCPPT's on this board have taken the course.

I'm personally aware employer wise, employers know the C|EH certification over the eCPPT certification currently - but as you mentioned you would be starting with the student version as oppose to the Pro course which I don't think the student course comes with the certification attempt. I haven't taken the C|EH training but I can throw out a couple obvious differences between the eLearnSecurity Penetration Tester Pro courses and the C|EH:
1. C|EH written Exam vs. eLearnSecurity's Practical Hands-On Web App Pen-Test + Report Exam
2. C|EH's focus towards introductory usages of tools vs. eLearnSecurity's in-depth sections of material (the Web-App Security section is very-well put together!)
3. eLearnSecurity offering a 5% discount to ethicalhacker.net members which can be redeemed here
4. eLearnSecurity offering a 7-day risk free guarantee
and the list could go on and on by taking the time to read and compare user's reviews of C|EH vs ELS through the eCPPT section here, and the C|EH section.

Either route you choose to go, your bound to learn something new that'll benefit your career. Good to see you aboard - if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

birdofbeauty11

Post Sun May 15, 2011 3:00 pm

xXxKrisxXx wrote:Hey birdofbeauty11,

Welcome to the forums!

There was a review written here awhile back on the eLearnSecurity course. It's attracted a lot of attention as being dubbed, 'What the CEH should have been'. I've taken the course last year and they seem very open to course suggestions because they're always looking to tailor the course to students demands. They've even opened a feedback area for the eLS PTP Pro course here. The eLearnSecurity folks have added a lot to the course since that review was made and even a few more modications since the eCPPT's on this board have taken the course.

I'm personally aware employer wise, employers know the C|EH certification over the eCPPT certification currently - but as you mentioned you would be starting with the student version as oppose to the Pro course which I don't think the student course comes with the certification attempt. I haven't taken the C|EH training but I can throw out a couple obvious differences between the eLearnSecurity Penetration Tester Pro courses and the C|EH:
1. C|EH written Exam vs. eLearnSecurity's Practical Hands-On Web App Pen-Test + Report Exam
2. C|EH's focus towards introductory usages of tools vs. eLearnSecurity's in-depth sections of material (the Web-App Security section is very-well put together!)
3. eLearnSecurity offering a 5% discount to ethicalhacker.net members which can be redeemed here
4. eLearnSecurity offering a 7-day risk free guarantee
and the list could go on and on by taking the time to read and compare user's reviews of C|EH vs ELS through the eCPPT section here, and the C|EH section.

Either route you choose to go, your bound to learn something new that'll benefit your career. Good to see you aboard - if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Kris

Kris,

Thanks for the response. I think I might do the eLearnSecurity, unless I see some STRONG reviews for the C|EH. I went back to the eLearnSecurity website, and I noticed that for $750, I can do the beginners, pro, and the certification.

Like I said, i'm just leery of paying 2K, and I can get the same information for cheaper.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
<<

j0rDy

Post Mon May 16, 2011 6:20 am

Those STRONG reviews will probably take some time before they will arrive because the latest version (v7) has been released recently. From what i know there are no Eh.net members yet who have done the completely new version of C|EH. Personally i would love to do the elearnsecurity course and write a full review about it, just like OSCP, but time is not on my side right now...
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

venom77

Post Mon May 16, 2011 6:48 am

There have been a few people here to sit the v7 class. Have a look through these threads:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,6560.0/

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,6827.0/

I also have a copy of the v7 courseware but it's still in its wrapping, haven't had the time to look at it yet. I have gone through iLabs though.
<<

j0rDy

Post Mon May 16, 2011 8:24 am

BillV wrote:There have been a few people here to sit the v7 class. Have a look through these threads:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,6560.0/

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,6827.0/

I also have a copy of the v7 courseware but it's still in its wrapping, haven't had the time to look at it yet. I have gone through iLabs though.

woops, how did i miss those? i know i am busy with Hack in the Box and all but i guess i have to be more active here also!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

birdofbeauty11

Post Mon May 16, 2011 8:45 am

j0rDy wrote:Those STRONG reviews will probably take some time before they will arrive because the latest version (v7) has been released recently. From what i know there are no Eh.net members yet who have done the completely new version of C|EH. Personally i would love to do the elearnsecurity course and write a full review about it, just like OSCP, but time is not on my side right now...

First I would like to say, thanks to everyone who responded.

I have made the decision to do the eLearnSecurity. Along with the price (which was a big help), it just seems more my speed, since I am new in this field. The fact that the class is self-paced, and you can view the content at any time is an added bonus for me.

Are there any eLearnSecurity reviews on this site?

Thanks
<<

lorddicranius

Post Mon May 16, 2011 9:27 am

A couple reviews and a large thread about the course/cert:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/307/24/ - Jason Haddix review

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,5938.0/ - 3 page thread regarding the eCPPT course/cert

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,6423.0/ - xXxKrisxXx review
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

Solinus

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:32 am

Great post. Thanks for the links to the reviews. It makes the decision a little easier.
Kerry
MCITP:EA | MCTS(x5) | MCSA+ | MCSE+ | Security + | CCNA | WCSP |
DSCE | PCT |CIW Security Analyst | CSSA

Return to Network Pen Testing