IP Obfuscation

<<

chugh_a

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:37 am

IP Obfuscation

Can anybody pls. suggest that whether 'IP Obfuscation' should be used as an added measure to be more secure. What are the possible drwbacks of using this approach ??
CEH
<<

jimbob

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:39 am

Re: IP Obfuscation

Hi,
By IP obfusation I assume you mean the technique of using the decimal value of an IP address instead of the more common dotted quad notation. For those who don't know IP addresses are in fact 32 bit numbers and dotted quad notation splits the number up into 4 x 8 bit numbers to make it easier for humans to read. For example the IP address 1.2.3.4 equals the  decimal number 16909060...

1 * (2 ^ 24) = 16777216
2 * (2 ^ 16) = 131072
3 * (2 ^  8) = 768
4 * (2 ^  0) = 4

Total = 16909060

As far as security goes I can't see a good reason to use IP obfuscation. I've only really seen it used for obfuscating URLs to fool the punter into thinking they are visiting a host other than the one they are really hitting. If you want to do this then by all means use it, but if you want to conceal URLs from view it's pretty poor. It will also not work if you are using name-based virtual hosts on your web server.

Regards,
Jim
<<

oyle

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:24 pm

Re: IP Obfuscation

You can also express IPs as:

Registry DWORD values (decimal)
Hex
Octal
Binary
Any combination of!

Full full details on how to obscure URLS and IPs:

http://www.pc-help.org
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm

Return to Other