Regarding career approach in Information Security

<<

Naive

Post Sat May 14, 2011 2:48 am

Regarding career approach in Information Security

Hi Guys,

I have just joined this forum with intention of getting some knowledge in field of Info. Security and Hacking. I am a professional wiht around 4 yrs exp in Telecom , a CCNA, CCIP.

Since my academics, I have always had serious liking towards field of Info Security and Hacking and will like to know if I can explore it through any certs like CEH.

Can any member guide me if taking CEH training and passing its exam are a good way to get into Info Security domain? Or how can I gradually transit into field of Hacking and Info security.
<<

venom77

Post Sat May 14, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Regarding career approach in Information Security

Hello and welcome!

Do you have any experience with security-related tasks or tools currently? Professionally or as a hobby?

If not, then the CEH is a good introductory into the topic. It covers a very broad range of topics, a large amount of tools, and will get you into the correct mindset.

If you have some experience, you may want to take a look at the eLearnSecurity courses or possibly Hacking Dojo. The guys that run each of these frequently visit these forums.

Keep in mind, these are geared towards security testing. If you want more general security certifications, look at Security+ and GSEC. Each of these is well known and will assist you in moving into a security position.

Depending on what your experience is the first logical step might be to volunteer or initiate security-related projects where you currently work. If you're already involved, even better. Gaining actual experience in the area is the best move you can make. If there aren't any opportunities where you're at then you could look for an entry into security - a system/network admin position that includes security as part of the responsibilities would be a good stepping stone.

BillV
<<

Naive

Post Sun May 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi BillV,

Thanks a lot for your guidance.

Based on what you mentioned, I understand CEH as preferable option.

I do thought of taking a network admin position in any company but the problem with it here in India, that Net Admins are not paid as good as I am in my current profile. I currently work as a Tier 1 TAC member for a leading Telecom Vendor.

My present company doesnt have any projects in Security stuff.

Since I also dont want my paycheck to downgrade, I was thinking to do a Security Certification. Do you think that passing CEH can help me get a job in Security domain? Again I do understand that any certification only does nt help..but atleast it adds values!!

Pls advice.

Thanks!!
<<

venom77

Post Mon May 16, 2011 6:40 am

I can't really give you a good answer on that - as it varies greatly from region to region. You may want to take a look at job postings in your area or ask around for local opinions and thoughts on it.

Return to General Certification