How to get your foot in the door?

<<

PackerDicer

Post Wed May 11, 2011 12:10 pm

How to get your foot in the door?

So I must admit that I do not have a real background in IT.  Have always had an interest in cybersecurity but never really pursued it. Well that has changed recently. Within the last 4 months I got the CCENT, CCNA, Security + and CEHv7 certs.  I am on the path for CCNP Security and should have that within the next 5 months.  I am also planning on starting the cert path for the OSCP and hope to have that within the next 6 weeks.  Now, like I said, I have no real IT experience. I am a retail manager and bored out of my mind.  I have a business administration degree but just started going back to school for computer science.  With all of these things considered, how would you get yourself in to a pentesting firm?  Any help you guys/gals could provide would be great.
Thanks in advance.
CCENT / CCNA / Sec + / CEH / OSWP
<<

treasur3

Post Wed May 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: How to get your foot in the door?

if you don't mind telling me. where are from and how old are you ?
Treasure's Security Blog
http://treasuresec.com
Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/treasure_sec
<<

PackerDicer

Post Wed May 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Ashburn Va and 34.
Last edited by PackerDicer on Wed May 11, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCENT / CCNA / Sec + / CEH / OSWP
<<

venom77

Post Thu May 12, 2011 7:34 am

It will be difficult to jump into a pentesting position with no IT experience. And quite honestly, I don't even know how to point you in the right direction for doing so. If you've got the skills, the best way would be to network at conferences, events, etc. with other people. It will be difficult to get beyond HR to a technical interview where you can actually explain what you can do by just applying for positions. Networking with the right people will be a much greater benefit.

Your better option is to look for a position in network/system/security administration and start gaining some work experience. When it's time to move on, you'll know.

Return to Career Central