CEH official textbooks

<<

skel

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:27 am

CEH official textbooks

Hi this a question for all the guys who have done CEH and studying for it. What do you think of the quality of the official text books of the EC council (ECC) ?.

I did my training end last year and found the presentation of content pretty poor.  When it came to describe tools, it looks as the ECC just copied the marketing material form the respective websites. Things like "THE BEST TOOL IN THE MARKET".  Overall I felt that more than 60% of the text was just cut and paste from other sources.

I was dissapointed seeing all this as this reflects badly on ECC and intern the on the certifications they offer  >:(
Skel
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:57 am

Re: CEH official textbooks

v4.1 of the Official ECC Courseware is much better than what they offered last year. It still has some issues like bad grammar, incorrect screenshots, etc. but is still leaps and bounds ahead of previous offerings. They are working with Element K if memory serves to make it even better.

As I always preach - Use multiple forms of study materials.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kev

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:19 am

I agree Skel, the EC-Council material is not well done in the sense of it being a training guide for someone new to security.  I think they intend it to be more like little notes an admin might use to remember something they need to be aware of.  In other words, for someone that has already had a lot of training.
<<

skel

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:37 am

Acutally I was not talking about the depth or the content or the material, But the writing style. For a person reading the book, it is very obvious that the book has not been proof read. The copy - paste from other documents are so obvious.

I dont think being new to the security is a excuse for putting out a poorly written book. For me it shows the lack of professionlism and the lack of commitent by the ECC for the course.

If I had just seen this book and not known well about the CEH exam, I would judge the CEH qulification at the same level.

And thats BAD for people like us who hold the CEH cert.
Skel
<<

inobegentleman

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:27 pm

Hello guys,i am undergoing self study for the CEh so i have a lil question i was going thru the a video here and i typed net user via c prompt then i noticed there were 3 users..one was administrator , the other my Pc and then the third was supporta0..the question is i think i have trojan on my system how can i know or confirm it.
<<

skel

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:55 pm

Hi inobegentleman

First I think u should move this to a new thread as this is a new topic.
second support_xxx is default local user created by microsoft
Skel
<<

Kev

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:08 pm

Yes, go ahead and start a new thread and maybe we will get some people to post their favorite ways to check for Trojans.  What you are seeing there is not a sign of a Trojan.

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker