CPTS vs CEH

<<

LegioX

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:58 am

CPTS vs CEH

Hi guys,

I have just done my CEH and want to do the CPTS as well, but was wondering how much of the content overlapped?
I'm having real trouble finding any actual study materials for this exam... not even an offical book!

Is anyway able to help?
MCSE & MCSA : Security (2003), A+, Network+, Security+, CEH, CCNA, JNCIA-FMW
<<

skel

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:43 am

Re: CPTS vs CEH

I am interested in finding out this too. Also how recognised is it compared to CEH ?
Skel
<<

rusaus

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:06 pm

CEH and CPTS courses are similar in concept (Theoretical basis) and from my recent experience are very different in the way they delivered. I‘ve found that CEH course was more theoretical with no time left for practical exercises and the instructor has no pen testing experience. CPTS course was delivered by a very experienced instructor and I had a chance to play with many tools and techniques. I felt a bit frustrated after completing CEH course due to the lack of practice and felt quite confident after finishing CPTS course.  CEH Certification is pupular but I found that some people prefer not to put it on their CV. CPTS certification is not yet popular but doesn't have that stigma. I have CEH and getting ready for CPTS exam.

Hope this helps.

Sydney/Australia
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:14 am

Although completely unscientific and lame, this is how I find out which one is more recognized

Google Hits
Results 1 - 10 of about 392,000 for CEH Ethical Hacker. (0.17 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 50,100 for CPTS Penetration Testing. (0.28 seconds)

Monster Hits
21 jobs - CEH
11 jobs - CPTS
<<

rusaus

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:07 pm

Hey oleDB,

I like your "unscientific" but "CREATIVE" approach. I think that is good reflection of CPTS popularity at this stage, however I've got a feeling that soon it will change due to the quality of CPTS training and current problems with CEH. We will see :-)

rusaus
<<

M3MN0CH

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:33 am

I have had my CEH for almost 3 years now and I can agree with comments I have read here.  Personally I was disappointed with the level of instruction I received from the personnel that provided the class.  All lecture and no substance.  I will be pursuing the CPTS as well as CHFI.  First I have to finish my CCNP though.
No one holds command over me. No man. No god. No Prince. What is a claim of age for ones who are immortal? What is a claim of power for ones who defy death? Call your damnable hunt. We shall see whom I drag screaming to hell with me

Return to CPTE - Certified Penetration Testing Engineer