Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:55 pm

BSidesDetroit 2011

BSidesDetroit 2011
June 3 - 4, 2011
Detroit, MI

Facilitating the Security Conversation

The Detroit iteration of B-Sides is all about bringing the project to a new level, a place it has never been before: The Destination Conference.

While destination conferences in information security are usually large corporate affairs, sponsored by companies who are participating primarily to sell or push their product, with both vendor areas and talks simmering in a bath of marketing malarkey and hype, the B-Sides project is about making a conference of, by, and for the participants. What does this mean to you, as participants?

We don't believe in vendor booths. There won't be any. If you want your products to be represented, send people the people who make them, to interact with the people who will be implementing them and using them. Marketing malarkey is generally poorly received. We like content, specifically new and emerging content, and not necessarily the stuff that is all over the media. We hear about that every day, from the media. B-Sides is about having conversations and getting people talking to each other about key and emerging issues, not just having a crowd preached to from the podium. Having a destination security conference in Detroit is about bringing people from all over the country to Detroit, to talk about technical and non-technical topics, to educate and advance the industry in a location that doesn't get much in the way of security conferences, but has a relatively large number of IT and security professionals and students who call it home. It is about presenting material frankly, honestly, and directly, for the purpose of informing, educating, and beginning conversations between professionals in the field regarding that material. Above all, though, we aim to create community, and to facilitate networking.

Cost: Free (as always!)

Venue

Renaissance Center
400 West Renaissnace
Detroit, Michigan 48243
http://www.gmrencen.com

For more info:
http://www.securitybsides.com/w/page/33 ... desDetroit

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

rattis

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: BSidesDetroit 2011

Added bonus... As of right now, I'm running the Lock Pick Village at this one. I've teamed up my Ann Arbor TOOOL chapter, with the Detroit TOOOL chapter, to have one large group to run the area.

Two things we'll be doing, besides trying to teach people why locks suck, having fun and trying to grow Ann Arbor and Detroit... There will be a head to head competition Detroit vs Ann Arbor for a trophy  / bragging rights. We will also be spreading news about the new Aurburn Hills group (which starts after B-sides).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Tulu

Post Fri May 13, 2011 8:26 am

I can't wait for this.
<<

rattis

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:05 pm

I sadly didn't get to see any of the talks. I was tied up both days with the lock pick village. That made me a little sad, but we had fun in that area too.

I was doing stuff like this during the talks:
http://youtu.be/KiU52hvgeys

We'd have people out there picking during talks, and we'd try to get new things set up for the in between rushes.

I'm the one that's cuffed. :)
OSWP, Sec+

Return to Calendar Of Events