Does anyone have useful links on the following.....

<<

millwalll

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Does anyone have useful links on the following.....

Hi All,

So I had interview today that went ok I think. But there were a few things I got asked and was not sure on. So I looking for help to find some decent resources to read up on.

1) Domain Controllers
2) Net bios
3) It was also suggest that I should be able to explain a exploit. I am not really at this level so any advice or links that could help to explain a basic exploit that i can run in my lab would be good.

4) This is really newbi question but is a domain the same as a subnet ?

Any help or advice would be great thanks...
<<

lorddicranius

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: Does anyone have useful links on the following.....

The Wikipedia pages on Domain Controllers and NetBIOS are pretty good.  And to add onto the Domain Controllers subject, I'd add Active Directory and the various roles to that.  Actually, the Wikipedia page on exploits is pretty good, too :)  As for exploiting vulnerabilities in a lab, I found it easy (as an introduction) to setup an OS that was unpatched and vulnerable, then used Metasploit to exploit it.  This really was my intro into it and honestly wasn't that long ago.  I'm following along with the Metasploit videos over at grmn00bs.com.  That gave me the hands-on experience with actually exploiting a vulnerability.

As for a domain vs a subnet, they are different.  A domain is a grouping of various network resources (users, computers, printers, servers, etc).  A domain will apply specific policies for these resources depending on how its configured by the administrators.  A subnet refers to IP addresses and how they're used in conjunction with subnet masks to form network segments.  (ie the IP address 192.168.1.1 with a default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 means that the IP address is the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 subnet).

I hope that makes sense.  Let me know if something needs more clarification and I'll do my best.  Or maybe somebody else has some good analogies to remember this stuff.  I've never been good with analogies haha.
Last edited by lorddicranius on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks I did do Google search and find them pages just didn't know if there was anything better out there.

And I thought I was write about the domain but the person gave me a funny look and it got me asking myself.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Microsoft's TechNet has some more good information regarding Domain Controllers and Active Directory.

The funny look may have been part of the interview - seeing if you were sure about your answer or if you'd backtrack ;) haha
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+

Return to Career Central