OSCP question

<<

satish.lx

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:50 pm

OSCP question

Great form!!

Since last few days i am reading each OSCP post and it sounds like fun..! even i am enjoying reading each post.. I have done few cert is past which include CCNA, RHCE, Solaris, Security+ and CEH but look like real one waiting for me... I have few stupid question regarding this cert, actually i tried to find 'em on offensive-security website but i didnt get proper answer so thought you could help me..

1. Is course and lab training is required for appearing in exam ?
2. Where to get this exam ? i meant any specific location of city ?
3. How much cost for certification?

applicate your answer and suggestion 
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: OSCP question

<<

KrisTeason

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:19 pm

hey satish.lx,

Welcome to the forums!

These are good questions that I don't 100% know the answers to but I'm going to take a random educated guess at them.

1. Is course and lab training is required for appearing in exam?

My guess would be yes simply due to the fact that the certification examination requires you to have an OSID and password. Not only that, but I don't think the off-sec guys would put at risk the possibility of having the final certification examination challenge exposed by someone willing to pay the $60.00 listed for the 'Certification Retake'. I could definitely be wrong though; I've never seen someone pass the Examination or Take it without being a PWB student.

2. Where to get this exam ? i meant any specific location of city ?

As far as I know, the examination is only offered online to students. The examination is not your casual written test. It is a hands-on prove your abilities type exam that takes place in a secluded environment which the off-sec folks give you credentials to VPN into. It is not tied directly to any specific location or city.

3. How much cost for certification?

You should take a look at the costs here. I doubt they offer just an exam challenge attempt for a fee.

If you'd like official answers you may want to contact Offensive-Security through their Contact Us Form or by PMing one of the mods in their IRC Channel. Last time I checked they're located on Freenode in channel #offsec

Cheers,

-kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:23 am

<nod>
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

satish.lx

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:08 am

Thanks @Kris

This is cool I don't think it's costly to get lab. Also you mean to say we can get exam from home over VPN right? That is awesome :)
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:14 am

The exam is over VPN as well as the practice lab.
<<

millwalll

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Does EH members get any discount on OSCP ?
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:08 pm

@Jamie.R - Nope, but for the past couple of years, a month is usually chosen to be an Offensive-Security seat giveaway. Last year up to 5 people were chosen to participate in PWB, CTP, and their WiFu courses for free. When that month comes the board will be booming like never before!
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

millwalll

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Yeah I so want to do the OSCP course but I am like 200 Quid short at min I hate waiting lol

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional