Online MSIS degrees

<<

paul007ex

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Online MSIS degrees

Hi - I'm new to the forum so excuse my ignorance and n00bness if you may  :P
I am interested in pursuing a MS in Information Systems/Security. I currently have a Bachelors in Computing and Software Systems which is essentially a CS/SE degree, good programming foundation, software engineering courses and project management etc..

My background is very mixed. I've worked @ helpdesk over a decade ago, written C code, developed Windows features, worked on security protocols, manages small teams  etc... I also have my CISSP.

Ultimately, I want to move into a CIO role and looking to carve a path there... I'm looking for the right mix of technical and management, but not lean too heavily on one or the other.  I don't want to do the MBA route (at the moment) because I still want to be technically averse. I don't want to do the MSCS route because it's too technically focused. A MSIS seems like a good middle ground.

Thoughts?
<<

ziggy_567

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Re: Online MSIS degrees

It is somewhat school dependent, but most MSIS programs are basically an MBA with a technical aspect. In fact, a number of the core courses I took for my MSIS were MBA classes. I would say about 25% to 33% of the classes were MBA classes. The rest were MSIS specific or electives.
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

paul007ex

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks Ziggy, it sounds like you had a good experience. What school did you go to and/or recommend? Somewhat budget concious... My work covers 5K (only!) in tuition expenses / year...

The SANS seems to be a no-bs program with strong backing. It seems appealing.. but the 30K costs and the travel requirements are not so much..
<<

ziggy_567

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:33 pm

I did a resident program at Mississippi State University mainly because it was at a point when I was looking for a career change. (I studied Sociology/Anthropology in my undergrad.) I felt the resident program was better suited for me and wanted a more immersive environment in my learning.

From what I've seen, the online format is usually more expensive. I'm not sure why that is. It would make more sense to make it less expensive as the format has less overhead expense than the resident programs. But, the market will bear the higher prices, so that's the nature of the beast.

There are more and more quality online programs every year. Check out the NSA list of Centers of Academic Excellence. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

I've looked at SANS before and really like their curriculum. Theirs is pretty heavy on the technology and light on the management. However, until they get regional accreditation, I personally wouldn't consider it. My understanding is that they are very close to getting regionally accredited, but its not a quick process.
Last edited by ziggy_567 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+

Return to Career Central