Junior Penetration Tester Interview Question

<<

millwalll

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Junior Penetration Tester Interview Question

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can find some security question. I have another interview next week and would like to polish up on basic things like common protocols etc

Thanks
<<

Joshsevo

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Junior Penetration Tester Interview Question

Security + questions can be found online can't get anymore basic that them.
Security+, Network+, C|EH, CHFI, CPT
<<

deviltaz

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:05 pm

http://danielmiessler.com/blog/25-quest ... -interview

Perhaps not Jr. level, but good questions to review.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:21 pm

That's a great link, deviltaz!  Not only provides some possible questions, but gives you some insight into what they're actually looking for.  Sometimes they're not just looking for a specific answer, but how you react to the question.

Do they panic, or do they enjoy the challenge and think through it?
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:37 am

A question I get asked all the time is what will you bring to the team ? does anyone have a good answer for this ?
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

What WILL you bring to the team? 

That's something you need to answer, based on your specific strengths.  Unfortunately, there really is no 'generic answer' that interviewers are going to accept for that question, and IS THE REASON they'll ask it.  A good interviewer won't ask you many questions with 'binary' answers.  (ie - very few yes or no answers, and few or none that a pre-canned answer will work for.)

Sorry, Jamie.R, as I wish I could help you more with that, but really, my advice would be to analyze your strengths, analyze your work ethic, analyze your goals, and based on those, prepare YOUR answer to give to that question.  That will suffice for MANY interviews, however, if the nature of the jobs you're applying for vary, then you'll have to be able to tweak your answer on the fly, to accommodate the changes for an individual interview.

Can't really give you better advice than that, with regards to this question.  Sorry...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks a lot I just trying prep myself for a job interview and want give myself best change I always get asked that and never really know what to say.

This is a bit newbi question but just want make sure I am right are three unsecured protocols pop3,ftp,http ? 
<<

ziggy_567

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:04 am

Jamie.R:

If I were you and I were asked that question, I would point out that you are currently attending the Hackingdojo classes (I would assume on your own dime). This shows you are genuinely interested in the subject and that you aren't just in it for the money. It also shows that you care about your career and aren't just looking for a job.

I would start with that and then go into some of your technical/soft skills. (something along those lines) If you don't have a lot of hands-on experience with specific technologies, don't get hung up on that. From my experience, hiring managers are less concerned with that for Junior positions. The technology is something that's easily trainable. Being able to present yourself well, clearly articulate your thoughts, and writing skills are all things that are not easy to train a person on.

Good luck...
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:08 am

Thanks some good advice
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 am

Don't forget interviwers will have already looked at your resume, so if you have reached the interview, they will first try to validate what's in your resume.

When I interview people, I am looking for these answers:

1) Will the candidate fit in the team (personality)
2) How does the candidate respond to stress (I usually ask very difficult questions where I am not looking for the right answer, but really how the candidate reacts)
3) Does the candidate use a good process
4) What are the candidate knowledge in relation to the job

For junior positions, interviewers don't expect superstars. They know they will have to coach the candidate. And again, the have seen your resume, so they already have an idea on where you stand. They just want to confirm what is in your resume and have a feeling on how working with you will be like.

So don't study for interviews. Just rest and be relaxed. Be HONEST in interviews, because it is easy to know when someone is bullsh*ting! It is easier than you think!!!  ;)
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:09 pm

I think one main problem I have is I am so eager to get int the industry I shoot myself in the foot and am too enthusiastic.
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:50 pm

And that goes right back to H1tM0nk3y's reply...  Rest and relax.  

You're better to go in, admitting any flaws or shortcomings, if asked something you don't know, and just being yourself.  He's absolutely right, as from my former positions in management, and even now just in technical interviews I'm involved with for open positions, I'm generally asking questions, not only to see right or wrong, but honest answers, even if they tell me, THIS is how I'd GET the answer, since I don't know it, already, or [b]THIS[/b] is how I'd work with a team to solve the issue.

By that time, it's beyond perception, and if you've represented yourself honestly and accurately, there's no reason to stress over it.  Just go in, and show / explain your value to them.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

hell_razor

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:33 pm

Another very important factor if you want to get in with a particular employer....know everything you can about their business and industry.  It always shows that you are interested in the company if you know enough to speak intelligently about it.
A+, Network+, Server+, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, GPEN, GCIA, GISP, GCFW
<<

WCNA

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:58 pm

hayabusa said:"By that time, it's beyond perception, and if you've represented yourself honestly and accurately, there's no reason to stress over it".

In my many years, I've had quite a few interviews so here's my best advice- "what hayabusa said".      :)

Seriously though, I think it's important that you be honest about your skills. You don't want a job you are under-qualified for. It's a bunch of stress and you may end up getting fired or costing the company a bunch of money. I'm a believer in "I know what I know and if I don't, I know where to look it up and learn it". Finding the job that is right for you is a difficult thing. One of the reasons I've stayed at my present job and haven't moved up the chain as I should have (and am now doing) is because I work with good people. Getting stuck in a job you hate or with people you despise will turn a good job into a crappy one. Been there, done that.

If your unemployed, this won't apply universally but when you're considering a move to another company, things like this matter. Be honest with them and with yourself.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

millwalll

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:58 am

Thanks some really good advice here not only for me but anyone else who get a interview.

I am always 100% honest in my interviews as I don't see any point in not being honest. One of the people who are interviews me knows his stuff so he will know if I am chatting crap.

The company are looking for people who they can train so I am not too worried what I know or don't know. But how to  show that I am eager to learn and passionate about being pen tester without going over the top?  If I did get the job I am not the best report writer in world. Should I practice maybe take some extra classes to improve?  I never written pen test report before and I know this is very important part of the test. I just want be the best I can be and get with a company that supports me to achieve this.
Next

Return to Career Central