Opinions on the VCP

<<

doodleface

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Opinions on the VCP

I was curious, those who hold the VMware Certified Professional, would you say it is a worth while credential to obtain for the money, if you were financing it yourself.
Has having the credential aided your career? If so in what way and I would love to know where you are regionally, ie North East US.

Thanks
CISSP, OSCP, C|EH, E|CSA, C|HFI, GXPN, GWAPT, GCIH, GISP, GSEC, MCITP:EA, CCNA, FCT, FCNSP, JNCIA, JNCIA-FWV, MCSE Security, A+, Net+, Server+, Security+
<<

tturner

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Opinions on the VCP

I would say it's worthwhile depending on your target opportunities. It impressed my current employer, if only they knew how easy it was to obtain! There is the barrier to entry of having to take a VMware authorized course, but the exam itself was very simple. If you are applying for a job where they do significant virtualization (which is most places) and you will be interfacing with that environment then I think it's rather useful. I do not know that it has directly contributed to my earning potential, but it's part of the package that is "ME" so it's hard to say that it hasn't either. I am in the SE United States. Ping me offline if you have specific questions and I'll answer if I can.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:16 pm

We use VMware heavily and just knowing how explosive that technology has been over the past 5 years makes me think it would probably be worthwhile.

I'm in one of those boats where I've been using it so long but have never been certified so I'm like...."is this a best practice?" I think having that would not only look good but be very practical.
<<

doodleface

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 am

Thank you for your honest opinions, it was very helpful.
CISSP, OSCP, C|EH, E|CSA, C|HFI, GXPN, GWAPT, GCIH, GISP, GSEC, MCITP:EA, CCNA, FCT, FCNSP, JNCIA, JNCIA-FWV, MCSE Security, A+, Net+, Server+, Security+
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:27 pm

For what its worth, VCP is mentioned in the top 15 highest paid IT certs. Take note, certain certs like CCIE were not included due to their "exclusive nature."

http://www.globalknowledge.com/articles ... ted+States

Obviously we don't know the survey participants experience and other qualifications that may have impacted these numbers.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri May 06, 2011 8:17 pm

doodleface wrote:I was curious, those who hold the VMware Certified Professional, would you say it is a worth while credential to obtain for the money, if you were financing it yourself.
Has having the credential aided your career? If so in what way and I would love to know where you are regionally, ie North East US.

Thanks

What are you trying to achieve? It doesn't seem like you're hurting for credentials. If you're not shooting to be a vSphere admin or perform some sort of virtualization security consulting, I really don't see it doing a lot for you. I'm a VCP on 3.5, and I'm never going to update it.

If you just want to learn, there are some really good books out there, and VMware's whitepapers are very well done (i.e. they have a very detailed hardening guide). It seems like you don't have a problem with learning, so you could probably self-study to get wherever you want/need to be.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.

Return to General Certification