OSCP - virtual lab

<<

nyx

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:51 am

OSCP - virtual lab

Hello,

the next days I'm going to subscribe the OSCP training and I've really doubt about the different lab expiration options 30/60/90 days.
I'm planning to focus 3 hours/day for 28 days (working it's my best), is 30 days enough to follow up all exercise?
I know that all depends from the experience and the background... think about a newbie, so I'll sure that you'll define a range that can be seen as the worst scenario :-D I'm CEH/ECSA and firewall admin for three years....
Obviously I would like to spend less money if I can, but I want to be really well prepared for this challenge, so I'm looking for the experience of the certified guy.

thanks, cheers
<<

WCNA

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:02 am

Re: OSCP - virtual lab

I would go for the 60 or 90 days so you can take your time to understand the reasoning and methods behind the attack vector. As I recall, I did a lot of extracurricular reading. If you rush through it, it's harder to remember in the long run.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:49 am

Hey nyx,

Welcome to the forums!

When I enrolled in PWB v3 last year, I paid for 60 days lab access and even went back to purchase additional days after that. Around that time I was giving lab more than 3 hours a day, but out of the paid days, I may of missed a couple.

I'm with WCNA, you may want to spend as little money as possible, but if your going to be giving it 3 hours a day, You may want to consider the 60 or 90 days. The labs are huge! Over 50 machines spread out across 4 subnets to hack away at! Mix that in with the time it takes to do the exercises, extra-mile exercises, documentation, reading over the pdf, going over the 8 + hours of course videos, working on the official report...your going to have your hands full big-time.

If I recall correctly, I think in PWB v2 or OffSec 101 they had posted that the course content will be at least 40 hours long. It's expanded out a lot since then - I remember when I was in the course, PWB almost becoming a lifestyle believe it or not. The course was full of some pain, but remained fun and addicting. I was like yourself thinking, "I'm going to put 5 hours in on labs today", but in reality I'd spend a lot more time in there then I had planned; but it all worked out for the greater good!

Anyway, good luck on making the right decision, there's a few of us that have our OSCP certs on this board, hopefully you'll hear their input before you officially pay for the course.

Cheers,

Kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:09 pm

<nod>

While you may be able to pass in 30 days, as the others noted, quite correctly, there's much to be said for spending extra time in the labs.  There's more there to learn and experience, than solely the info needed to pass the course.

May cost more, but well worth it.
Last edited by hayabusa on Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

nyx

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:47 am

Thanks a lot for your warm welcome.

I got the point and everything you said make sense, until now I played only in my lab, but set up your lab and attack it, it's not the same story.

I need the lab because I need more hands-on experience, at the moment it is one of my weakness.

thanks a lot, really appreciate your help/feedback.

cheers
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:44 am

I also highly recommend at least 60 days. I went back and ended up buying 14 more days at the end and it ended up paying off. The lab they have setup for you has PLENTY of boxes to pwn so if I were you, I would spend all my time there...
<<

millwalll

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi I have a question as I am thinking about doing same course soon how does the lab days work out.

Is it 60 days from when you first log into the lab ? or is it 60 days of lab access regardless if I do 2 days one week and five days the next?
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:04 pm

You get a start date and it is 60 days from that date. Doesn't matter if you use it for 5 minutes or 150 hours, if you hit the end date, time is up. One thing I would recommend is if you think you might want more time, buy your time before your time is up otherwise you'll risk getting a new IP which means you might have to change all the shellcode you've been using :)
<<

millwalll

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:29 pm

cool thanks for letting me know
<<

TheXero

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:18 am

I'm doing PWB/OSCP at the moment, signed up for the 60 days lab bundle.

I was doing about 6-8 hours in the lab a day for 6 days straight before my brain was mushy.  It got to the point where my head was hurting so much that I took a couple of days away from the lab.

I'm not that far into the course yet, but don't take it all at once, it get's quite painful (mentally).

Good luck :D
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:02 am

AHAHHA

I remember the same thing. The first two weeks I hit it hard like that and then I didn't know what day or month it was. It definitely helps to take breaks to decompress and come in with a fresh set of ideas.
<<

Darktaurus

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 pm

Hello nyx,

I would go at least 60-90 days IMO. Even if you have a high level of offsec skills, it is still fun trying to find everything in the lab. Usually the tough schedules of most people, forces them to at least 60 days.  Not to mention the difficulty level of some of the concepts and servers in the lab. There were a couple of days I was the guy in this comic (http://www.offensive-security.com/pwbskit.png).  My wife even started saying "Try Harder" (http://www.offensive-security.com/when- ... -tough.php). The torture was fun tho.  Best course I have ever taken.  If you want to save time, before your course starts, I would setup a virtual lab of some kind so you can practice.  It helps you a lot even when your time is over. Just remember, try to get the concepts down more than anything.
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

nyx

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:41 am

thanks lads,

it's really a good challenge... stay tuned, I'll keep you update  ;)

Return to Security