Question on what I should do.

<<

LethalEnmity

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Question on what I should do.

I plan on being an Ethical Hacker and I have thought about being a Penetration Tester when I grow up, I am only 14 right now but I am a little bit tech savvy I know some stuff, although what I understood about the specific career path I have chosen, when it comes to knowledge there's never enough because there are new security flaws opening up rapidly with the development of new software and hardware.

Basically, what I want to know is what I should major in when I go to a University or a College.. And if being a Penetration Tester is a good idea for a career path in this day and age?

Thanks in advance,
LethalEnmity
Last edited by LethalEnmity on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:05 am

Re: Question on what I should do.

Hey, welcome  ;D

Good career path? Depends on how much you want it. Infosec can be a great career IF you enjoy it enough to be willing to put the required work in without coming to hate the job. Unfortunately I can't really help you too much there, only you can truely answer.

I'm from the wrongside of the pond to give a US answer to what you should study but EthicalHack3r/Ryan Dewhurst (also UK based) has just posted about his experiences of 'ethical hacking' degree courses. Hopefully will help you.

Finally just learn everything you can, about everything you can whilst you're young and enjoy the learning; and try not to get too focused on where you want to be. At you age I was intending to be an accountant beancounter.

Hope this helps
<<

WCNA

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:50 am

Re: Question on what I should do.

Find a job that you love then it won't seem like a job.

That's about the best advice I ever got. I've had dozens of jobs in my long life and always seemed to end up topping out rapidly and becoming bored with the job. That's why I chose the IT industry around 10 years ago. I love to learn and there is absolutely no shortage of what you can learn in the IT industry and there are hundreds of career paths with the computer industry. Poke around some and see if you can find what suits you....then stick with it (at least until you master it).
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+

Return to Career Central