Hacked off with companies

<<

millwalll

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Hacked off with companies

Hi all,

As you may well know I have been trying to break into security as junior pen tester. I am busting my A** to do everything I can and so far had two interviews.

One I didn't get the job as they didn't have enough budget to take on anyone else.

The other I just got reply saying
The main reason for us deciding that you were unsuitable for us was that you intended to look around several potential employers and see who would give you the best offer.

This has shocked me as I don't even know what the salary was for the job so how can I look around for the best offer. I did have other interviews lined up like most people do as until they get the job they have to keep on trying.

Does this seem like a bad excuses ? I just feel so down at the moment nothing going right and trying break into security is so frustrating.

In the Uk every company saying there are not enough pen tester blar blar here I am working my A** off to become one it be nice if these companies helped me out a bit.

rant over 
<<

Joshsevo

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Hacked off with companies

They were probebly just worried about turnover.  You get hired, they train you in their ways and pay for everything only to see you leave when you find something different.  Interviews are tough because they can back you into a corner if you let them and then you might say something they don't like.

Your luckier than me as I have not even had one interview.
Security+, Network+, C|EH, CHFI, CPT
<<

millwalll

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Maybe but do companies expect you to do apply to just them and when u don't get the job start again. Its like the hardest industry to break into. it just sucks so much lol

Are you based in Uk too joshsevo
<<

AndyB67

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:34 pm

I live in cambridgeshire and will be hitting the job market in about 14 months time.  Part of me is looking forward to it as i'm getting to detest the job i'm in at the moment and a part of me is dreading it as i've been working for my current company for 20 years now.

You do need to network like buggery in the UK as only about 40% of the jobs get as far as being advertised over here. 
Try get to the 'trade shows' like infosec or BSides (both next week but BSides sold out this year) or any of the other security or it events so you can get yoru face seen and drop off a few business cards (with a potted resume or your key skills on the back)
Get yourself on linkedin, join the it and security groups and get know through those as well
Net+ Sec+ More to come
<<

millwalll

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Doing all that already Andy mate I am doing everything I can. It just so hard to get a job and what don't help I work part time and the place I work is just so boring don't challenge me enough. Just nothing going right at the moment and I want go crazy lol
<<

Joshsevo

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Jamies, nah I am in the US.
Security+, Network+, C|EH, CHFI, CPT
<<

AndyB67

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Jamie.R wrote:and what don't help I work part time and the place I work is just so boring don't challenge me enough. Just nothing going right at the moment and I want go crazy lol

Know what you mean with that.  After umpteen years doing servers, running manic workshops supporting a lot of users and pc's and basically being able to get stuck into the hardware/ builds etc, i'm stuck doing info managment at the moment and it's driving me scatty.
Working on a crap project thats going to hand over the control of our hardware/ software to an outside company and basically end up managing user accounts/ setting permissions on data.
It's only the private pc repairs, my lab rig and a bit of online gaming that's keeping me sane atm :(
Net+ Sec+ More to come
<<

WCNA

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:54 pm

I know how you guys feel. I just spent an hour and a half with a user that, no matter how many times I told him, insisted his cable modem gave him a virus.    ::)

Hang in there. We're going through a tough economic period. And it doesn't help that not one politician in a thousand understands how the economy really works.
Last edited by WCNA on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:15 am

Jamie.R wrote:Does this seem like a bad excuses ?

Seems like a fairly poor excuse to me, but if that is their stance then potentially you've had a lucky escape. As much as you want the job in infosec, the company that you end up working for has to give back in return for your work. If they rejected you based on not being loyal before they offer you a job? Something isn't right somewhere.

From my own experience (UK) there are pentest jobs out there, but most are looking for people who are already experienced (standard catch22 scenario).

Hope things get better going forward, keep the faith ;)
<<

venom77

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:41 am

I agree with what Andrew said above in that it's a poor excuse. At least you received a response though. Typically what I see are emails that just say "we have decided to pursue other candidates that more closely match what we are looking for." Pretty generic and doesn't give you any insight.

But.. was there something you may have said in the interview about your ambitions/interests/etc. that may have been beyond what the company is looking for? Or anything else you may have said that would lead them to believe you're looking for a "stepping stone?"

If they pick up on stuff like that, they'll be much more quick to rule you out as a candidate. As mentioned by someone in one of the other posts, a company doesn't want to spend the time/money to train you if you're just going to turn around and take the next best deal. Same scenario if they're offering pay that's less than what you're looking for - they'll just assume that (even though you may have told them you'll take a pay-cut) there's a good chance you're going to jump ship to take a higher offer within a short amount of time.

Keep on chasing it though, certainly don't give up just because a few places have turned you away.
<<

millwalll

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks for the reply's to be honest I am not that worried about the money. I know how hard it is to get a job in security so just want make the first step once I get my foot in the door I know I will soon be earning a decent wadge.

I not looking for company to train me and then run to a better deal. The company that employs me I would break my back for as I know they given me a shoot to do what I love doing.

Andrew you are right it is catch22 no matter what you do I think I can say that trying get a job in security is by far the most frustrating things I have ever done.

Return to Career Central