Alfa AWUS036NH Help Please

<<

1baseman16

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Alfa AWUS036NH Help Please

I am using Linux Ubuntu 10.04 and I have finally got the device installed, but my only problem is that I cant get the mac to change, it will tell me that I have the mac spoofed, but as soon as I bring it back up it assumes the orgional mac address. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thank you
<<

1baseman16

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:11 pm

Re: Alfa AWUS036NH Help Please

Or would anyone have an idea to why it will not hold the spoofed address? I am new to linux and am trying to learn so any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated
<<

rattis

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:36 pm

on my box, I have a physical switch I have to turn off, and then change the address, then turn it back on.

I use the following command

sudo macchanger -ra wlan0

then turn on.

sudo macchanger -s wlan0 and have no problem.

The only thing to check would be if the ifup script sets the hardware address when it brings the nick card up.

I actually have to do the physical switch for both the internal and my alfa.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

1baseman16

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:52 pm

It is the ifup script that changes it back to the original mac address. Unfortunately my box doesnt have a switch... Do you have any ideas to why the ifup changes the mac back? Or could i have screwed up installing the box? I guess i am trying to learn linux so any ideas or knowledge anyone can throw my way I would be very grateful. Thank you
<<

rattis

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:48 pm

It's doing it to make it easier on you. That way you've got the right mac address, if it's needed for network access.

If you can find the card's configuration (look under  /etc/network/interfaces). You can take care of that.

Also install aircrack-ng if you haven't. Airmon-ng (comes with the Aircrack-ng Suite) it'll tell you if there are other programs messing with trying to play with wireless cards.

A better option. Use Ubuntu do learn the nix side. Get a copy of Bactrack to learn the tool side. Backtrack is set up a little nicer to prevent things from messing with you like that.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

1baseman16

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:43 pm

Thank you i will definitely try that. I have aircrack suite already installed and I had gotten backtrack but I havent found the time to play around with it yet. I am assuming I will have to compile the drivers for my Alfa on the backtrack like i had to do on the ubuntu?
<<

rattis

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:45 pm

I didn't. Used it on BT3, and BT4 no problem.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

AndyB67

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:54 pm

If you look up wifite that will do a lot of the legwork for you, even to changing the mac address.  Has a nice little randomise attack button.
Net+ Sec+ More to come
<<

1baseman16

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:15 pm

I will have to make the switch to BackTrack, I can either be able to spoof the mac but if I look at my wireless network connections it tells me that the device is disconnected. If the device says it is connected I am not able to spoof the mac. Its not the end of the world that I cant have both at the sames, it is just rather unfortunate! Thank you everyone for the help and the tips for backtrack!
<<

j0rDy

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:08 am

if you want to get the drivers for this one working with packet injection (which didnt out of the box using BT4 R2) check this tutorial:

http://blog.rootshell.be/2010/08/09/backtrack4-r1-awus036nh-win/
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net

Return to Wireless