How important is MAC testing?

<<

MadCoder

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:40 pm

How important is MAC testing?

I was ran across a deal and ordered a Dual Xeon dual core 2.8ghz G5 MAC.  I live in Nashville, TN (born and raised) where everyone wants to be the next big country star and everyone wants a mac with Protools for their so-called home music studio. So I bought it to re-sale, but if MAC pentesting is important, then I'll keep the machine for my lab.

Thoughts?
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 am

Re: How important is MAC testing?

My 2 cents...

The value of MAC pentesting has to be measured against WHO you're working for, or WHERE you plan to pentest. 

Consider the following two thoughts:

a.) You're pentesting for your current employer, and NO employees use MAC's, nor are there any production MAC's in place.  There is lessened / little value in it, if this is your sole purpose.

b.) You're considering doing consulting work, and there's a good chance that at least some customers that you plan to work with ARE Mac shops (many publishers, newspapers, creative companies, educational institutions and others use a LOT of Mac.)  In this case, there'd be heightened value.

I can also tell you, however, that MANY of the penetration testers I know HAVE Macbooks, and LOVE them, as their attack machines.  Many of the tools exist for Mac's, as exist for Linux, etc, and a lot of these guys just like the Mac's interfaces and such, as a whole.  Personally, I don't have one, but I'm certain I'd put it to use if I did, particularly if it was a Macbook, but even if it's just a desktop, as it never hurts to be well-rounded, and have that extra tool in your arsenal, even if just to test and learn from.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm

I use a mac for Pen testing. I am still new to Pen testing but I use it with macports setup http://www.macports.org/. I know a few companies in the UK that use macs for pen testing too.
<<

MadCoder

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Good Points. Final analysis is ... I'm keeping the MAC.

Thanks guys

Return to Network Pen Testing