Everything's Up - NOW WHAT??

<<

MadCoder

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:36 pm

Everything's Up - NOW WHAT??

A lot of people have helped me get things up and running. I did get my DD-WRT router fixed and now have internet in my new lab...

Just a quick recap found here: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,6838.0/

As an experienced network administrator / hobby developer...  I know how I would setup a development / business network, but I don't know enough about Pentesting yet to know how my network should be configured.  If you experience guys could weigh in on what you would do with my equipment and how you would configure it that would be awesome.

I have four servers. Due to the age and compatibility I can not run a virtual environment, so that means I can run a separate OS's or dual boot OSb  on each machine and create nightly (and a master install) image on my NAS to some what emulate a VM environment.

Here's where I'm lost and need help.

I have 4 boxes and don't know what to do with them. 

Can some of you pros weigh in and give me some detailed insight on what you would do with the equipment and how you would set them up.

I have ordered a few books that would possibly help me with this problem, but they haven't arrived yet and I'm eager to get started.

PLEASE HELP.

PS: I don't know completely know what Backtrack 4 is, but I know it's important and I've paid for the training videos.  Should one box be dedicated for Backtrack ? And what about Metasploit
<<

RoleReversal

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:09 am

Re: Everything's Up - NOW WHAT??

Hi,

I wrote two posts a while back detailing my my lab's network setup that I use for testing. Will hopefully give you an idea and point in the right direction:

Hope this helps,
--Andrew Waite
<<

MadCoder

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:50 am

Thanks Andrew. I will read those today and report back.
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:30 am

So, you're unable to load up VMWare workstation or VirtualBox, even?  How old are these boxes?

I know that without VT-enabled machines, you're not going to throw up Xen or anything, but you should be able to load up multiple VM's on VMWare workstation, regardless.

With regards to my lab, personally:

I have 3 rackmount servers, all running VMWare ESXi or KVM, so each of those has multiple guests.

I have multiple physical machines, as well, running flavors of Windows or Linux, and on some of those, I run VMWare workstation, to allow me a few additional (and portable, in the case of my laptops) guests, for demonstration purposes, or mobile tests.  That said, Andrew's lab posts should help you to get some ideas, and there are plenty of lab setups discussed on the forums, here.  

First, you should just start by getting your feet wet, and work on local exploits.  Setup as if you're ON the local subnet, and understand things like sniffing, port scanning and enumeration, etc.  Understand the different attack vectors, as they apply to the OSI layers, and how each comes into play in a pentest.  Practice with nmap, netcat and other tools, against local machines, as the knowledge you'll gain for the underlying protocols and such is necessary to do the same testing for remote systems, etc.  Learn about passing the hash, man-in-the-middle, etc.  Then, move on to topics for remote exploits, like SQL Injection, XSS, and client-side attacks, and start to grow out your base.

Assuming your 'guest' OS availability is as limited as you infer, what I'd do, now, is make some decisions on where you want to START learning.  Decide on which base OS's you want to begin with, such as unpatched Windows XP and older Linux kernel versions, load up a couple, and begin looking at the tutorials on hacking / pentesting, with those.  Additionally, look at the DE-Ice cd images, etc, that give you some bootable images to toy with, and watch / learn from the tutorials on those.  Start learning about the stack, about buffer overflows, about WHERE to research, learn about, and find public exploits, and begin to parse through them, to see how they do what they do.

But most importantly, have fun with your lab.  Don't get tied into one specific topic, and frustrate yourself, if you don't get it right away.  Mix things up enough that you'll get some successes here and there, to help you understand that you ARE progressing.  

And ALWAYS ask questions.  That's the key to being a good pentester, as there will ALWAYS be someone with more knowledge and experience out there.  May not find them right away, but the key to learning, especially in this field, is to share with others.
Last edited by hayabusa on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

rattis

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:09 am

To add to Andrew's links... I'd hit up theProfessional Pentester book review. It includes a downloadable chapter.

With the hardware you have listed. Depending on Disaster Recovery, I'd mirror the disks, and then install Ubuntu with either VirtualBox for VMware on it. Might not be able to do VMware / XEN as a bare bones install, but should be able to run one or the other.

You could do backtrack as a Virtual, but for more fun, I'd personally run it from a different box. Live CD with Persistent USB.

My normal lab setup. 3 cisco routers, 3 cisco switches, 2 towers, WRT54GL with dd-wrt, and my laptop running debian with 6 virtuals on it via VirtualBox.

My current lab. Just the laptop.
Last edited by rattis on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

RoleReversal

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:37 am

chrisj wrote:To add to Andrew's links... I'd hit up theProfessional Pentester book review. It includes a downloadable chapter.

Link is dead for me, try here.

Not sure how I forgot that as I wrote the article, it's been one of those days....
<<

MadCoder

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:19 pm

hayabusa: These are dual-core socket 603/604 Xeon servers. ESXi refused to install(3.5 and 4.0) and not even going to try VMServer. I can of course always run Vbox OR VMworkstation on a host, but ESXi was my goal, but not much I can do.

Andrew:  I have already purchased that book and a few others , just waiting on them to arrive. 

Thanks for all your help guys, I think I have more than enough to get the ball rolling.
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:05 pm

@MadCoder - I wasn't saying, 'definitely virtualize, and use XYZ to do it.'  And I understand the desire to get ESXi (when you CAN support it, it's well worth it, but I know the feeling when you can't...  been down that road, too.  My latest boxes were purchased, based on their compatability.   :) )  Bare metal hypervisors are always my choice, when possible.  

As you've kind of decided, since you really have to go with something like VMWare Workstation / Virtualbox or something, then it's well worth it, if you've still got 64-bit hardware and a 64-bit base OS, as at least you can get better utilization from the CPU's and memory subsystems.

Anyway, glad we can help and give you some ideas.  Keep us posted on what you do with it all.  Sharing of info is why EH-net exists, and it's always good to learn from others' experiences.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to Network Pen Testing