Missing Blackberry

<<

eoakinyemi02

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:08 am

Missing Blackberry

i really dont know if this is the right place to post this. but i believe i can be helped. my blackberry was stolen and all efforts to get it back failed, am left with only one solution, and that will be using the MAC Address of the phone, can anyone help me pin point the location?
the MAC Address is 40:5F:BE:74:86:44
Thanks.
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:51 am

Re: Missing Blackberry

MAC, alone, won't help any of us to find it for you. Sorry.  Without having access to your cellular provider, we wouldn't have an IP to associate to it, and therefore, no way to even BEGIN to know where it is.  If anyone could find it, it'd be the cellular carriers, who could triangulate it based on tower associations, etc.  However, this occurrence is so frequent, that I sincerely doubt they'd go to much effort, on behalf of a single user / device.

Sorry, eaokinyemi02.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:25 pm

At this point, you should be more concerned about protecting the information that's on the phone than finding it.

Was it personal or business? If it's business, you need to escalate the loss to your supervisor/IT department/etc., so they can wipe the device and follow whatever procedures they hopefully have in place.

I'm not sure if you can get your carrier to perform a remote wipe for a personal phone or if there's some other way to get that accomplished. There's probably more personal information on their than you realize, so you should research what your options are and try to protect yourself as much as possible.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

SephStorm

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:19 am

Now this brings up an interesting point. Many times in tv shows or movies, we seel that LE has the ability to ask/have a service provider track a piece of hardware be it cell phone, or a vehicle, etc. Is ther any precedent or possibility of an individual forcing a SP to do this? I mean, why couldnt the OP theoretically get a court order for the SP to locate the device? It could possibly act as a theft deterant if individuals knew a person could get an order and take that order to the SP, and with the requirement that the information be provided to LE, LE would track down the item and arrest the thief.

I can see a few problems with this, but I think it would be worth a shot.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎

Return to Mobile