World's Greatest Hacker

<<

WCNA

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:37 am

World's Greatest Hacker

I'm looking through the local newspaper yesterday and see that the "World's Greatest Hacker" is going to be speaking at an event at Florida A&M University. I google the guy up and see that it is none other than Greg Evans. Looking at the links and videos about him (none very flattering including an expose from an Atlanta TV news show), I came across several links to his alleged plagiarism from members here at EH-Net.

I think I'll skip the sales pitch lecture and his "How to be a hacker in 15 minutes", stay at home and do some studying.

Anyone know what the status is with those lawsuits?
Last edited by WCNA on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

venom77

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:50 am

Re: World's Greatest Hacker

If he ever showed up at an event near me I'm pretty sure I'd go protest
<<

rattis

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:07 pm

I like Bill's idea.  Also note, that some people have taken him up on this "Challenge" and he has yet to show.

We actually had a thread about his book on here. If you go to school at  Florida A&M you might want to find out who is hosting him being there and provide them with the expose and other things like attrition.org's page him.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

venom77

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Florida A&M Event Page

If I can find contact info, I'll surely be sending off an email.

currently on a college speaking tour around the nation

Where's the smiley to smack self in head?
<<

Data_Raid

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:57 pm

BillV wrote:Florida A&M Event Page

If I can find contact info, I'll surely be sending off an email.

currently on a college speaking tour around the nation

Where's the smiley to smack self in head?

https://www.compliance-helpline.com/fam ... loadPage=1

"Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University is committed to the highest standards of ethical conduct in all aspects of the University environment."

That rules out TWN1H  :D
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

venom77

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:23 pm

<<

WCNA

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:48 pm

If you go to school at  Florida A&M you might want to...

No. I work at an ISP (looking to move into security) that does some off campus housing at FAMU. I thought about protesting but apparently the guy tries to sue everyone that exposes him as a fraud plus, from what the paper said, he's mainly trying to encourage more minorities to get into IT security, which I am OK with. I have a feeling it's going to turn into a sales pitch so I'm skipping it. I'm really too busy between work and study to go protesting some narcissist.
<<

venom77

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:42 pm

WCNA wrote:I thought about protesting but apparently the guy tries to sue everyone that exposes him as a fraud plus, from what the paper said, he's mainly trying to encourage more minorities to get into IT security, which I am OK with.

Yeah, I know this point has been brought up before. Most of his lawsuits are thrown out but I don't blame you for not wanting to bother with it.

I don't have a problem with someone encouraging minorities, or anyone for that matter, to get into IT security but I do have a problem when he plays that card to say "the IT security industry is out to get me because I'm black." That just pisses me off :)
<<

venom77

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:41 pm

I sent an email to the school and to WCTV about the article published below (but they said it was directly from the school, so talk to them anyway). I didn't receive a response from the school but they did update the article - yet didn't remove the part about Evans being a CEH.

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/118450724.html
<<

WCNA

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:54 pm

but I do have a problem when he plays that card to say "the IT security industry is out to get me because I'm..." -- pick a color --

I'm more offended that he claims he can teach you "how to be a hacker in 15 minutes". I've been doing this off and on for 15 years and I still don't know one tenth of what I think would make me a "hacker". His claim is an insult to my years of study and to everyone in the IT industry. It reeks of a con and should send up red flags to all who would consider learning from him. It's like saying "Become an Oracle database expert in 15 minutes!"

What's worse is he would probably end up teaching the novice just enough to get arrested. Maybe this is just the Dunning-Kruger effect: where stupid people are certain of their analysis (even though they are wrong) and smarter people are less sure of theirs (even though they are right).
<<

rattis

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:28 pm

WCNA wrote:
I'm more offended that he claims he can teach you "how to be a hacker in 15 minutes".

Nah, that's all you need to teach someone how to do "advanced" google searches and how to run a couple of scripts.

WCNA wrote: I've been doing this off and on for 15 years and I still don't know one tenth of what I think would make me a "hacker".

I've been in IT doing it for pay for 15 years, and sometimes I claim to be a hacker, and sometimes I don't think I am.

I think this tweet however is really drives quite a bit home:
jaysonstreet: Our problem @rattis We wrap up so much into that simple word HACKER when really if you get to the core it's just another word for EXPLORER!
OSWP, Sec+
<<

WCNA

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:14 am

Maybe I should come out with a program called "How to get arrested in 16 minutes"!
:)
<<

SephStorm

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:19 pm

Wish I had seen this earlier, I would have had my cousin go speak to him...
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

timmedin

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:13 am

I find it funny that a university is having him come speak. In higher ed one of the most egregious sins is to plagiarize, and there is so much proof of him doing so (one example in his book is a rip of Chris Gate's work and even has "cgates" in the text).

The guy is an absolute Charlatan. His felony fraud charges clearly prove it.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

WCNA

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:37 am

I find it funny that a university is having him come speak.

Turns out it was not university sponsored. He just rented a hall there and was capitalizing on the inference.

Return to Other