Thoughts on elearnsecurity.com Training

<<

MadCoder

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Thoughts on elearnsecurity.com Training

I've been in the IT industry for 18 years and have a very firm understanding of complex network environments. However, I've always been on Administration side. I've now made the decision to venture in to Pen Testing and have invested in 6 servers for my home lab to begin the learning process.

I followed a recent trail from EH to elearningsecurity.com and was wondering someone could give me the feedback on their experience with the whole training process.

Couple Questions.

1.) Being on the Admin side for so long and not the black/white hat side, does these courses train is such a way that someone with my experience could understand and retain and not just throw out random how-to's.

2.) My MCSE was was $8k. My MSTS was $6,500. My MCTIP was $10k. This entire course and cert is only $650? WOW.  Why?

Thanks in advance.
<<

KrisTeason

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Thoughts on elearnsecurity.com Training

Hey MadCoder,

Welcome to the forums.

I followed a recent trail from EH to elearningsecurity.com and was wondering someone could give me the feedback on their experience with the whole training process.

The whole training process entails the course being presented in interactive slide form. Additionally there are exercises you can replicate based off the slides and the resources are given in slide attachments. eLearnSecurity even has video tutorials throughout the course that explains tool demonstrations and usages. Student forums are provided where other students and instructors interact and help you when you have questions.

There are a couple course reviews in this section on the Forum:
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/board,96.0/

My Review here talks about my experience through the course and I try to compare/contrast the course with Offensive-Security's Penetration Testing with BackTrack v3 course.

1.) Being on the Admin side for so long and not the black/white hat side, does these courses train is such a way that someone with my experience could understand and retain and not just throw out random how-to's.

You should be able to retain the information in the course by going through the exercises. I would suggest going through the slides and replicating the exercises for it to stick a lot better. I'm personally the kind of person where the more I do something, the more it sinks in - even if I have to do it 200 times before it actually sticks. You have way more experience than I do, I think your experience will only benefit you more walking in.

2.) My MCSE was was $8k. My MSTS was $6,500. My MCTIP was $10k. This entire course and cert is only $650? WOW.  Why?

Can't exactly answer this question, I know a lot of certifications and courses are over-priced, eLearnSecurity comes to the scene relatively affordable courses geared toward the novice in pen-testing. The course is aimed at people with 0-3 years in the field (Read Jason Haddix's Review) - and is still very new to 'the scene'.

I think the course would benefit you if your very new to pentesting. If you plan on going with the PRO course and get a chance to take on the certification challenge, I think you'll have tons of fun and it is very do-able in the amount of time they give you. The required report you would write would make you feel like you have gotten your feet in the door even more.

There's a couple of us on this board that have been through the course, don't hesitate to ask for help!

-Kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

MadCoder

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:51 pm

WOW - What a great reply. It's rare to find that kind of information so quickly. I will definitely become an active user on this forum and hopefully learn a lot from you more experienced professionals.

I think you sold me. I will be enrolling in the PRO course so I'm sure I will be bomb-barding you guys with questions.
<<

KrisTeason

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Glad I could help in a timely manner. I'm browsing the forums all day trying to find where I could throw my 2 cents in. Good to see the community grow 1 more active member stronger.

Cheers,

-Kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

Xen

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 am

Hello MadCoder, and welcome to the forums!
xXxKrisxXx has accurately answered all your queries, I'm here to just give you some diversity :D eLearnsecurity's PTP is I think a great course for someone beginning into the security field. I've done only this course, but based on the reviews of other courses, I guess PTP and courses from hackingdojo are the only beginner friendly courses out there.

Though PTP covers a lot of material (network, web and system security), it doesn't go too deep into any of it. But it does provide you a good security foundation so that you can easily dive into other courses like OSCP and SANS etc.

To get the best out of this course, use some outside references along with the course material. I used 3 books: The web application hacker's handbook, Counter Hack reloaded and The shellcoder's handbook to accompany each of the 3 course modules.

I can't talk about experience as I don't have any (will be graduating in 2-3 months), but retaining requires a lot of practicing. Presently, the course has only a few labs but in late April they'll be providing lab environments which students can access into, and practice their skills. It might require 'purchasing'  some lab time, though, nothing is finalized yet.

coz they aren't Microsoft :P j/k
<<

WCNA

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 am

I can't speak for them but there are likely several reasons. One being that if you want to have students worldwide, 10k is insane money for some countries. (I also think it's insane here as well.) My ex-wife's salary in Costa Rica was $250 for 2 weeks full time work. A reasonably nice house (for C.R.) - 30k.

2, if they were to price themselves too high there might not be many takers. There's lots of certs out there to choose from. I took the OSCP not just because it was the first real-world-hacking course but also because the price was right.

3, they don't call it Micro$oft for nothing.  :)
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

MadCoder

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks for all your help guys. I have enrolled in the elearnsecurity as well as the ordered the backtrack videos.  I've also ordered these books:

1. Ninja Hacking - Unconventional Penetration Testing Tactics
2. Hacking Web Applications
3. Professional Penetration Testing

Once I finish those two courses and feel like I've got a firm grasp on the scene and techniques, I'll then see were it leads me.

Thanks Again,
MC
<<

Grendel

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:23 am

MadCoder wrote:I've also ordered these books:

1. Ninja Hacking - Unconventional Penetration Testing Tactics
2. Hacking Web Applications
3. Professional Penetration Testing

1) Thanks for buying my books! Hopefully they will be very helpful in propelling you down your new path.
2) I'm sure you'll enjoy the eLearnSecurity course - from what I know of it, at the end you should have a solid understanding of our industry.
3) Man, I really need to improve my advertising skills... or maybe just expand my advertising budget.  :(
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

impelse

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 pm

Grendel wrote:1) Thanks for buying my books! Hopefully they will be very helpful in propelling you down your new path.
2) I'm sure you'll enjoy the eLearnSecurity course - from what I know of it, at the end you should have a solid understanding of our industry.
3) Man, I really need to improve my advertising skills... or maybe just expand my advertising budget.  :(

You are doing fine. Also I read one of your books, it was great.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

ziggy_567

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:10 pm

3) Man, I really need to improve my advertising skills... or maybe just expand my advertising budget.  Sad

He didn't buy your training....but he bought two of your books.....you seem to be doing okay on marketing the books at least  ;D
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

maxpeck

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:49 pm

I have 2 of your books too, I love em! After we spoke over IM I was all set to join the Dojo until my boss decided it was time I stopped working a mere 5 days a week...

I need to feed my inner Ninja!
Max
<<

MadCoder

Post Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:15 am

I've looked at HackingDojo and the thing that turned me away was a complete lack of information of the homepage. Basically, there's one page with a couple paragraphs describing the course.  For that reason alone... I couldn't even consider it.

Return to Network Pen Testing