"Breaking In" Pentest Sitcom

<<

yatz

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:53 am

Re: "Breaking In" Pentest Sitcom

They have the pilot episode available for streaming one-day after it airs.  I started watching it but the language/innuendo turned me off pretty quickly.  I would probably watch it otherwise for brainless entertainment.  It would be nice to see clean television again... *sigh*.  Not sure if anyone else feels the same way.
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

venom77

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:20 pm

There were a couple of funny lines here and there but that was really about it. From a true/technical perspective it was pretty lacking - but that's really not the way they are going. And I wouldn't be surprised if this is the tv show ligatt was talking about.. they probably explain their security assessments the same as in the show "...and then we'll drop in from your ceiling all mission impossible style, use a remote control helicopter to disable your alarm system, and then take off with your stuff! Cuz that's how we roll!" I'll give it one more episode to determine if it's worth following but I still don't see it making it beyond a single season at this point unless they make it more entertaining/true (people love reality) or a lot funnier as a comedy.
<<

ziggy_567

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:02 pm

I just caught it on hulu.com earlier today....it was a crappy, Hollywood version of the mildly entertaining first episode of Tiger Team from TruTV.

Needless to say....I won't be following it...
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

rattis

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Finally got to see it. Looking forward to next week's episode.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:55 pm

I did too, but in my case, hope it gets better, because I wasn't nearly as impressed as I'd hoped.  Figured if Slater was in it, it'd be more than it was.  Guess we'll see and time / more episodes will tell...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

rattis

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Considering the station, and some of the other things they show, and how they jack their real shows for those other things, I had very very low expectations. Some of the stuff got old and was over played. I liked how the one guy got into the main character's head and had him screw up the job. I didn't catch it either, and was like what when Slater put his fist through the wall.

It however made me laugh, and I wondered if they'd have more than enough material for 2 shows (all Tiger Team lasted and they modified Tiger Team's thing for this episode, even stole the bit with the thumb drive from the second episode).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

tturner

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:17 pm

I've relaxed my fears a bit on this since it's a sitcom. I was entertained. That's all I ask for. I don't look for realism in sitcoms. Now put that on Discovery, and then we will have problems.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Yeah.  Solely as a non-EH, I probably would've laughed harder at some of the gags.  So guess it wasn't 'horrible,' by that measure...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Pookie

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:58 pm

I thought it was ok, got some laughs.  Was not expecting award winning stuff, so I wasn't disappointed.  Not everything has to be Citizen Kane.
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
<<

j0rDy

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:14 am

exactly, it was entertaining and not informative so it did a good job as a sitcom. next episode is tomorrow. i am watching it for sure...
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

ShadowReaper

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:09 am

SephStorm wrote:here here. I would rather watch RED TEAM. It was too bad they canceled that show, it was pretty enlightening.

where can i find the episodes of RED TEAM? I googled it but i didn't find anything. which channel broadcasted them?
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:31 am

TruTV - Episode 1 is streamed there, I think.  You'll have to dig a bit for Episode 2.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

ShadowReaper

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:36 am

Then it's called Tiger team not Red team
<<

venom77

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Both episodes are linked to from Chris' website:

Lares Consulting
<<

lorddicranius

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Just watched ep1 of "Tiger Team" (full ep via TruTV - thanks hayabusa) and the clip of ep2 (thanks for the link BillV) - good stuff!  I wasn't able to find a full ep2, but I'm going to search a few other sites after I get off work.  Watching the recon, planning, and educating the client is just as good as the attack IMO :)

As for "Breaking In," I have yet to watch that yet, but I'll be watching it for the comedic value rather than accuracy/factuality.  It seems its more pleasurable that way :-P
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
PreviousNext

Return to Mass Media