Need a Gateway

<<

cabezabuke

Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:31 am

Need a Gateway

I have connected to a network wifi of some guy that lives in my building. Although it had key, was not very complicated (very mythical admin). But everything is not going to be "on rose"; I do not brow. I am connected (which does not contribute anything to me), but I cannot access to Internet. I was seeing that I have of IP one of rank 169.254.0.0 (concretely 169.254.197.147, mask 255.255.0.0). Also I have put him a DNS. But I need gateway. I suppose that the problem is that, that my equipment does not know that direction. I have been proving some (169.254.197.1, for example), but do not locate it. There is some form to find gateway without having to be proving the 65000 possibilities? Thank you very much
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:48 am

Re: Need a Gateway

first, stealing is wrong his stuff was WEPed for a reason...

second, no DNS is assigning you an IP thats why you cant access the internet and why  you have the 169 IP address, so even if you put in a gateway it wont work. 

third, he is probably restriciting DNS by MAC address, there are ways around that but see #1
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:26 pm

Re: Need a Gateway

169.254.x.x is the IP address range MS uses to automatically assign a Windows machines an address when nothing else is available... No automatic IP and no manual IP.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to Network Pen Testing