Anyone taken this recently

<<

Joshsevo

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Anyone taken this recently

Anyone taken any of the GCFE or GFCA tests.  They are 150 questions and are given a few days after you complete the SANS 408 & 508 courses.

WoW they are expensive.....

Any jobs that strictly look for these certs?  I have found a few but not a ton. I may just do one.  I have the funds to do both but not sure I want to do them both if there is not a huge benefit to having them.
Security+, Network+, C|EH, CHFI, CPT
<<

Joshsevo

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: Anyone taken this recently

I just bought a book off Amazon for the GCFA test for like 26 bucks.  Good deal.  I am goingto read through it in a little while as I have some time until August when the class is that I will be taking.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:53 pm

I don't see much value in doing both of them unless you're looking for immediate payoff from the GCFE while you work on the GCFA. The GCFA is higher-level, so GCFE-level knowledge would probably be implied.

Although, the GCFE seems to focus exclusively on Windows, so maybe it goes deeper into that area while the GCFA is broader (though 5- and 6-level courses/exams seem to be broad and deep). I haven't had a chance to review the exam objectives in depth, but those will give you a good idea of the differences.

If I had to choose between one, I'd go for the GCFA. From my perspective, that one seems to be more widely known.

You can also challenge the exam without the course for $900. If you want both credentials, you could try going that route to add on the GCFE. You also get two practice exams with a challenge, and there will probably be a decent amount of overlap with the resources you get from the 508 course.

Let us know what you think of the book. Those types of resources usually fall short of the course and exam, but even a good introduction is worth $26.
Last edited by dynamik on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Joshsevo

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Good point.  I have done little research on it and I first thought that to get the GFCA you needed the GCFE first.  Maybe not though huh.  Oh well nothing I can do about it now.  SANS 408 with the GCFE test has already been paid for.  SANS 508 where the GFCA is offered has not been paid for but will be in a little while.

I will definitely leave a review of the book and then the class and the test.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:32 pm

No, it's not a prerequisite.

If it's a big deal, you should try contacting them. They seem to be pretty flexible and may allow you to switch courses.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Joshsevo

Post Thu May 19, 2011 11:40 pm

I just got my info and can take this test when I feel like it up until Sept 9th I think. I am going to take it in a few weeks once I go over the books again and listen to the podcasts that we have access too. 

SANS 408 was fantastic.
<<

WCNA

Post Fri May 20, 2011 3:47 pm

I'd love to go for the SANS certs (they look reallly good) but they're just too expensive for me.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

Joshsevo

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:00 pm

I also just booked my GCFE which is the first cert under the GCFA cert for Sept 14.  Pretty happy.  I've been putting this off for long enough and pretty happy.
<<

Joshsevo

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Well I failed this test yersterday. GCFE that is.

This was by far the toughest test I have ever taken in regards to Forensics or Security.

The knowledge that you need to pass this test is well beyond what I have and will take a few yrs to get.  So if oyu can pass this I respect thata great deal.  Not planning on taking it again.

The study materials I had were not very good at all. Answered a few questions.

Oh well in the last 3 weeks I have gotten CEH, CPT and CHFI.  I suppose 3-4 isn't too bad.
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Sorry you didn't pass, but congrats for the ones you DID!  Keep up the positive focus, and you'll go far.  ;)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

azmatt

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:21 pm

I took it early this month and passed with a score in the mid 80s. By far the hardest test I've ever taken in my life.

Think very carefully about what books to bring with you and index the heck out of them with tabs so you can find the info as quick as possible. That four hours is painful, but goes by quick :)
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
<<

Joshsevo

Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Taking his course next week. Been wanting to take it for a few yrs and now I finally am.

I will do a write up on what I did and how I studied for it and my feedback from the course. I'm sure it will be great as its SANS and their material is top notch.

Return to GCFA - GIAC Certified Forensics Analyst