Ifosec Institute, CEH and CPT

<<

SephStorm

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:00 am

Ifosec Institute, CEH and CPT

Hey, has anyone who has taken there training had problems with the Linux lab vm's?

VMWare is telling me it cant find two files, Linux.vmdk, and Linux.vmdk.REDO_a00460

both of these files are located in the same directory, though it looks like they may be corrupted, they are both 1KB in size. Can anyone provide me with copies? I am going to call them today, but I know they are not open yet.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:50 am

Re: Ifosec Institute, CEH and CPT

Not certain, SephStorm, as I haven't seen their discs and setup.  One thought I'd have, is, did you copy from CD or DVD media?  If so, did you reset permissions (remove Read-Only)  Also, did you check the vmx file to make sure paths to the files are set correctly in it?

HTH.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

SephStorm

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:18 am

The permissions seem to have been removed after they were moved to disc, the read only attributes have been cleared. As for the configuration, its very strange. the CD drive is set to a non existant drive, (E:\rh9iso\ etc) and if i try to edit the machine settings, i get a dialog saying the system cannot find the file specified, but I cant change anything on that screen.

I should also mention that the VM is in a suspended state, no idea if that matters, but I cant stop it if I needed to.

EDIT: I opened the vmdk file in notepad, here is the output.

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
CID=89835f63
parentCID=ffffffff
createType="monolithicFlat"

# Extent description
RW 16777216 FLAT "Linux-flat.vmdk" 0

# The Disk Data Base
#DDB

ddb.virtualHWVersion = "3"
ddb.geometry.cylinders = "1044"
ddb.geometry.heads = "255"
ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"
ddb.adapterType = "buslogic"
ddb.toolsVersion = "4100"
Last edited by SephStorm on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

SephStorm

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:06 am

Well, I contacted ISI, and they quickly assisted mein getting the correct vm. Actually it sounded like they had maybe experienced the issue before... but I'll have a full review upon course completion. Until then, thanks for the help!
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 pm

I haven't had any problems with my vms, but seems you already got it anyway. If you come across any other unexpected behavior, feel free to send me a pm. Currently working on my review as well. ;)
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:59 pm

SephStorm wrote:The permissions seem to have been removed after they were moved to disc, the read only attributes have been cleared. As for the configuration, its very strange. the CD drive is set to a non existant drive, (E:\rh9iso\ etc) and if i try to edit the machine settings, i get a dialog saying the system cannot find the file specified, but I cant change anything on that screen.

I should also mention that the VM is in a suspended state, no idea if that matters, but I cant stop it if I needed to.

EDIT: I opened the vmdk file in notepad, here is the output.

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
CID=89835f63
parentCID=ffffffff
createType="monolithicFlat"

# Extent description
RW 16777216 FLAT "Linux-flat.vmdk" 0

# The Disk Data Base
#DDB

ddb.virtualHWVersion = "3"
ddb.geometry.cylinders = "1044"
ddb.geometry.heads = "255"
ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"
ddb.adapterType = "buslogic"
ddb.toolsVersion = "4100"

Glad you got it.  I was referring to the VMX file (not VMDK) as the pathing could be manually tweaked there.  But regardless, sounds like ISI helped you out.

Enjoy your training!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker