CompTIA.org, Testout, or CareerAcademy for training?

<<

uz3r

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:53 pm

CompTIA.org, Testout, or CareerAcademy for training?

I've decided with my intermediate knowledge of windows and linux os that I am going to work towards the A+ certification and move on to Net/Sec+ and Linux+. I already got a bead on a few books I'm planning to get and wanted to get some opinions on the various online training courses and will be teaching myself python as I go.
I was originally going to go with CompTIA's elearning, but then found out about CareerAcademy with their money back guarantee and TestOut with their LabSim. Since I'm spending the wife's money, I wanted to make sure it is a good investment. Any suggestions? Personal experiences? :)
<<

jbt52

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: CompTIA.org, Testout, or CareerAcademy for training?

Ah, well first of all-good luck!
I myself use TechnologyCerts because they are much cheaper, but you are using your wifes money anyway so that doesnt matter  :D
Career Saver has some great adaptive software and training materials that are well worth checking out.
KNowledgebuster has free practice tests-mostly just for bragging rights tho LOL
<<

rattis

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Personally, I believe in reading and hands on. The few cert classes I took, only taught me how to pass the test, not how to think on my feet. If you can learn the stuff inside out; forward, backward, sideways and upside down, then you'll be good to pass. You'll also be able to answer the more off the wall / harder questions in an interview / performance review.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 am

I tend to lean the same way, chrisj.  Most bootcamps I have attended (read 5-day intense courses) have always been geared to pass a certification exam, but only serve as a baseline intro to the real 'meat and potatoes' of the actual subject matter.  The only real experience-garnering cert bootcamp I took class for was OSCP, and that's because they actually force you to self-study and work for it.  Even the infamous CISSP classes are highly condensed, and obviously focused on passing the exam, as there is way too much info to really 'learn' and comprehend, in such short amounts of time.  While yes, certs will get you past resume keyword searches, they certainly won't get you past a real, technical interview, simply by themselves.

It's a cold, hard fact that there are a lot of 'paper' certified individuals out there...  Case in point (and if any of you fall into this category, my apologies if it offends,) at many customers I deal with, the network folks (read CCNA/CCNP, etc) have only book knowledge, and fight tooth and nail against my analysis, forcing me to prove out things that, for a 'real' network person, should be common sense.  Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of real, true certified folks, too.  Just that the 'paper' ones are detrimental to good business and productivity.
Last edited by hayabusa on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

jbt52

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:25 am

For sure, there is no replacement for hands on and practical knowledge, but if you keep that mentality through your studies then you can gain the knowledge you need, not just to "pass the test"
<<

AndyB67

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:58 pm

hayabusa wrote:Just that the 'paper' ones are detrimental to good business and productivity.

I have a friend who is a CCNP and sits on the hiring interviews for the network guys at the company she works for.  She can usually tell within 5-10 mins of starting an interview if they are a boot-camp CCNA or someone with experience.  Over the last 2 years, 60% of the interviews haven't gone beyond 20 mins and only about 15% have made it on to the test lab rig at the back of the room to show their abilities!!
Net+ Sec+ More to come
<<

uz3r

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Well that makes me feel better. I was really worried that I would end up spending my money on the fast track instead of actually getting the education. Good ole book studies sounds like the way to go, but as for hands-on, I don't really have any spare computers to tear apart. Please understand, I have been using computers since I was about 10 and have pretty good operational knowledge of hardware, software installation, drivers, and networking. I have been using and upgrading my PC since a kid, but it is mainly the terminology that is a little rough for me. I just picked up Mike Meyer's 7th ED and the first chapters are all familiar. Is it plausible that I would do just fine with a few of the text books and a junker PC before hitting the exams? I would much rather go with hard studying than pay 7 bills for testout.
<<

kriscamaro68

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:52 pm

In my opinion from taking all the certs you are wanting to take there is no need for videos or cbt in my opinion. I was much like you where I worked on pc's from a young age and taught myself everything I know. The CompTIA tests can be done with a single pc or 2 without issue. Lab what you can but for the most part it is more memorizing then anything. Once you get to the higher end certs then labbing will really come into play. As for the Security+ cert there is a really great book that I would recommend. I used this pretty much for studying and got an 850: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security- ... 343&sr=8-1

Good luck with your studies.
A+, Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP/XP
<<

rattis

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:12 pm

kriscamaro68 wrote:As for the Security+ cert there is a really great book that I would recommend. I used this pretty much for studying and got an 850: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security- ... 343&sr=8-1

I loved that book. I used it last December, second book I read, and I scored about the same. What I really liked about the book was it wasn't learn this to pass the test, but explained the "best practices" in the book.

That book has been listed in several threads on the forum.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

uz3r

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:31 pm

Thats what I'm really going for: I want the certs to be the byproduct of education, not the other way around. Anyways, I've decided to go the college route and am currently looking at Western Governors, ITT, UAT, Kaplan, and Capella. Really like WGU but not sure if I would be able to get in. Maybe you guys can help me out. I have a HS diploma, 2.9 GPA, and my wife makes $44,000/yr. I'm unemployed do to it being very hard to find a job (especially when you have a felony  :-X). Think I'd be able to score financial aid? I'm at community college right now and they are giving me enough to pay for school and then some since I'm also 26 so no parental finance bs.

Return to General Certification