Python or Ruby.

<<

H4TT1fn4TT

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Python or Ruby.

So I learned C and C++ and wanted to start studying Python or Ruby now but I find it hard to choose not really knowing the future of Ruby.

I excluded Java because I simply get a bad feeling from it for some reason.

What are your views on the future of Ruby. For Python there are some nice tools out there I found out (tools for GUI programming etc.). My main aim is programming stuff that has to do with networking.

I also would appreciate some good advise on study material if anyone has that.
"The quality of programmers is a decreasing function of the density of go to statements in the programs they produce."
<<

KrisTeason

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Python or Ruby.

I'd say go with Python - but knowing Ruby would be good if you plan on toying with Metasploit Modules. Python also has some weight in the industry right now. I look around for programming jobs sometimes (being a software major), and some folks actually want Python background. 

With Python, I've seen some beautiful stuff done involving networking (just take a look at some of the scripts in BackTrack for starters). Where I personally saw the real power of Python was in the Penetration Testing with BackTrack course, where the OffSec guys had developed a few python scripts which simulated Real-Live environments. To not be so vague about this, in the labs I often came across a couple of the machines I compromised having scripts that would be used to simulate a user checking his/her e-mail, visiting web pages, etc.

Also, hanging out on MaXe's site Intern0t and participating in their, 'Write a Program' challenges, I've noticed a lot of guys using Python and can get code done quicker and a lot more efficient!

If your going to look into networking, I'd say don't count Python out. The 'bad feeling' you get from Java is odd. Java has a lot of market value, it's portable across OS's and has great features in the java.net libraries that you could use to write some sweet tools.

Either route you go, your going to get closer in picking up on syntax from each language. Both languages have similar syntax so which ever one you favor you have nothing to lose when going back and learning the other.

-kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:29 pm

I am a Java developer and I use Python when it comes to hacking. I only READ ruby from Metasploit.

So python without hesitation.
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

H4TT1fn4TT

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:14 pm

I will go for Python then. I also tried to search a bit more on google and the support community and online content on Python is way bigger than for Ruby.

Just one question that has nothing to do with this. It used to be that C and C++ where faster than the higher programming languages. When coding a function that does brute forcing is it better to code this function in C or C++ still or is the speed neglectable compared with Python?
"The quality of programmers is a decreasing function of the density of go to statements in the programs they produce."
<<

yatz

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:26 pm

"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Try this for Python:

Desire to Pass on Love of Programming, Man Pens Book with Pre-Teen Son

Recommended python book for beginners, even if you're over 10 years of age.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

H4TT1fn4TT

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:27 am

don wrote:Try this for Python:

Desire to Pass on Love of Programming, Man Pens Book with Pre-Teen Son

Recommended python book for beginners, even if you're over 10 years of age.

Don

The content looks interesting. To bad I can only find a copy near me for $999, lol. Will look around the bookstores here if any of them can get a hold of a copy instead of buying it online.  :D
<<

rattis

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:34 am

I've posted this in a few threads, including one linked above...

http://diveintopython3.org/

Edit:
Also, don't know where in the world you are, but amazon has the book on it's site for a nice price.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

mesho

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:16 am

if you have asked me this question before 10 years i'll answer differently!

but for the meantime and moving further Python is the 1st hacker must to know scripting language.

Python beats Perl when it comes to writing exploits because Python more clean & easy scripting language.

C is mandatory for System Hacking whether on Win, Mac or Unix alike OSs'.

regarding Java, i'm not a big fan for OOP so i'll escape it  ;)

last thing, here's a good path to follow in learning python:

1) check the Google Python Class,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKTZoB2Vjuk

2) very good video series in learning python from MIT
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-e ... -lectures/

3) and you are ready to go with
Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
Last edited by mesho on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

celord

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:38 pm

+1 for Python, It has solved me a lot of problems, and take a look a w3af, and scapy two examples of great tools made with Python
<<

timmedin

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Python, if for no other reason than Scapy.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

f4csimil3

Post Wed May 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Really great post regarding Python vs Ruby, i was reading it and learned a lot.
Also had my questions answered regarding lanjuage.

Thanks guys.
<<

jacobadam

Post Thu May 12, 2011 2:00 am

I would suggest Python. Python is an interpreted, general-purpose high-level programming language whose design philosophy emphasizes code readability. Python aims to combine "remarkable power with very clear syntax”, and its standard library is large and comprehensive. Its use of indentation for block delimiters is unique among popular programming languages. Python supports multiple programming paradigms, primarily but not limited to object-oriented, imperative and, to a lesser extent, functional programming styles. It features a fully dynamic type system and automatic memory management, similar to that of Scheme, Ruby, Perl, and Tcl. Like other dynamic languages, Python is often used as a scripting language, but is also used in a wide range of non-scripting contexts.
<<

millwalll

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:19 am

If you want do python I have lots good resources on my site not sure if I can link to it but it save me typing them all out.

http://www.jamierougive.co.uk/tutorials.html

Take a look at thenewboston and there some under the python heading.

Return to Programming