Westboro Baptist vs. Anoymous

<<

awhitehatter

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Westboro Baptist vs. Anoymous

What happens when activists start attacking other activists?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12523184
<<

H4TT1fn4TT

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Westboro Baptist vs. Anoymous

I read there are rumors that this is a hoax and that the church set it up themselves.
"The quality of programmers is a decreasing function of the density of go to statements in the programs they produce."
<<

awhitehatter

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:15 pm

I've read some of those too and I tend to think that is the likely situation.

I just think it opens the door for interesting conversation, when hacktivism begins to take place between two activist groups. Not an activist group vs. gov, corps, or other entity.
<<

caissyd

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:21 pm

When people at this "church" say things like "god hates fags" or "thank god for dead soldiers", they should expect people to protest against them...

The church's website, godhatesfags.com was unavailable.

Not that surprising...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

rattis

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 pm

You have to remember, the majority of their funding comes from suing people. Claim an attack, harvest ip addresses of people that come to visit afterward and new cash flow started.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Pookie

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:46 am

I am a bi-vocational Baptist youth minister and I don't really like Anonymous.

With my disclaimer being said, I hope, if this is true, that Anonymous wipes the floor with Phelps and his "church".  His actions are not representative of any teachings I am aware of and they poison people against good people that don't share his misguided views.

I don't like censorship, but I would love it if his group would shut their collective cake hole.
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
<<

awhitehatter

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 am

Pookie wrote:I am a bi-vocational Baptist youth minister and I don't really like Anonymous.

With my disclaimer being said, I hope, if this is true, that Anonymous wipes the floor with Phelps and his "church".  His actions are not representative of any teachings I am aware of and they poison people against good people that don't share his misguided views.

I don't like censorship, but I would love it if his group would shut their collective cake hole.

Thanks Pookie, I too am a Christian and am just disgusted by the behavior from Westboro. However, this site deals with ethical hacking. So where do we draw the line? I can't stand Westboro and their bull they "preach", but they do have a right to speak out. I don't think their being reasonable in exercising that right, but I don't know that it justifies me rooting for anonymous to wipe their site out.

Whatever happens, I would also love if Westboro just "collective cake hole".  :)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:28 pm

From an ethical hacking standpoint, anonymous is breaking the law. This is the reason I started this board. To point out that, although intentions may be good, breaking the law regardless on which side of an argmunet you are, is wrong and shouldn't be done.

I like the counter-protest idea that has been done. Groups legally protested Westboro and had enough participants to actually block the westboro protesters from getting near a funeral. Now that's perfect on 2 fronts... it's legal and it promotes more free speech rather than less.

From a personal standpoint, I just hope the supreme court hands down a decision against Westboro. If they do, they penalty will for all intents and purposes make their sad organization go away.

Don

PS - Great topic awhitehatter.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Pookie

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:25 pm

I am not by any means condoning what Anonymous did, does or is doing right now.  Crime is crime and should not be encouraged.  All I am saying, is since I can't stop them, as I am neither in law enforcement nor am I a member of Anonymous have any influence therein, and if they are actually doing it, that I wouldn't mind Phelp's little hate factory to be silenced for a while.

I think it is awesome what the Patriot riders are doing, We had Westboro come to town to protest a funeral.  5 - 6 town's police came out to keep peace.  I had some friends that made it out to protest Westboro, the bikers were flying flags, to obscure the signage and circling Phelps to drown out his noise.

I am sorry if I didn't convey that message well enough.
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
<<

rattis

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:39 pm

I have limited access to the net at work (I keep waiting for someone to come over and talk to me about surfing EH from work), but the last I heard about this was anon saying it wasn't them doing the attack.

So did the Westboro cult get attacked, or are they only claiming that so get more air-time / money / ???
OSWP, Sec+
<<

H4TT1fn4TT

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:25 am

Thought I would update you people and link to the latest news on the subject.

The Jester claims responsibility for taking down Westboro Baptist Church website, as Anonymous refuses to back down
"The quality of programmers is a decreasing function of the density of go to statements in the programs they produce."
<<

awhitehatter

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:06 pm

don wrote:From an ethical hacking standpoint, anonymous is breaking the law. This is the reason I started this board. To point out that, although intentions may be good, breaking the law regardless on which side of an argmunet you are, is wrong and shouldn't be done.

I like the counter-protest idea that has been done. Groups legally protested Westboro and had enough participants to actually block the westboro protesters from getting near a funeral. Now that's perfect on 2 fronts... it's legal and it promotes more free speech rather than less.

From a personal standpoint, I just hope the supreme court hands down a decision against Westboro. If they do, they penalty will for all intents and purposes make their sad organization go away.

Don

PS - Great topic awhitehatter.

Thank you Don,

I agree, I like the counter pro-test idea as long as it remains in the legal spectrum.

H4TT1fn4TT, thanks for the update.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Westboro wins Supreme Court Decision 8 - 1.  :'(

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

awhitehatter

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Booo! Makes we want to buy a Harley and join the Patriot Riders.
<<

H4TT1fn4TT

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:21 am

don wrote:Westboro wins Supreme Court Decision 8 - 1.  :'(

Don

Free speech is free speech don, even if it is something people might not agree on. From one side you can be happy because it does not open the door for trails against people that criticize certain subject like is happening in some parts of Europe.

Like a famous comedian once said. Free speech means having the right to say hurtful things. Here in the free west we build a wall around us against those things and if you are not capable of doing that you should move away. Everything a person says can be hurtful to an other.

Just to state I do not support this church just wanted to make a point.
Next

Return to Ethical Hacktivism