BackTrack 5

<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sat May 14, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: BackTrack 5

Has anyone tried SPIKE on BT5 yet? I'm getting errors trying to run ./generic_send_tcp

Just wondering if others are having the same issue.

-C

**Update**

Just found a very old list item that discusses this, the solution is to go to the src directory and do:

. ld.sh

Then you can use the generic's. I've found a couple of problems in BT5 already :)
Last edited by cd1zz on Sat May 14, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

millwalll

Post Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 am

I have no tried Spike yet. One problem I have is when using VM ware if I set it to full screen the menu bar does not re size I have to do it by hand what is a bit of a pain.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 am

Jamie.R wrote:One problem I have is when using VM ware if I set it to full screen the menu bar does not re size I have to do it by hand what is a bit of a pain.

Is that with the KDE or Gnome version?  I had that same problem with the 64bit KDE version.  Click on the yin yang button on the right-side of the bottom panel, click more settings, then click maximize panel.  Again, that's for the KDE version.  A quick reboot (shutdown -r now) after doing that myself for the first time showed that setting saved through a reboot.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Wed May 18, 2011 10:50 am

Yah it does not save the setting soon as i change screen size then go back full screen I have to exactly what you said minus the shutdown. I will try it again tonight.
<<

Darktaurus

Post Wed May 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Anyone that is using Gnome, do you use NoteCase instead of Basket for your notes?  If so, do you think it is just as good, if not better?  I really got use to working with Basket.
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

mrYoda

Post Fri May 20, 2011 8:48 am

Data_Raid wrote:
H1t M0nk3y wrote:Ok, I have installed Backtrack 5 Gnome 64 bit yesterday along with VMWare Workstation, Nessus and some other little tools. So far, I have nothing to complain about. It will become my main OS.

But I miss the little drop-down that used to be in the lower panel in Backtrack 4. I used it a lot for quickly typing commands such as "shutdown -h 0", "reboot", etc. Do you guys know how to put it back? I don't even know how it's called...  :-[

That's the "Run Command" applet in KDE. For KDE, If you right click on the panel and then select "add applet to panel" and then search by scrolling down to the "run command" applet, then select "add to panel".
For Gnome it's almost the same, right click on the panel and then select "add to panel" and then select "run application", it's not exactly the same as KDE (with a text box) but provides the same finctionality.

I don't get the "add applet to panel" with 32-bit KDE installation. Therea re only widgets to add and there is no run command widget among them. Any ideas?
<<

lorddicranius

Post Fri May 20, 2011 10:20 am

mrYoda wrote:
Data_Raid wrote:
H1t M0nk3y wrote:Ok, I have installed Backtrack 5 Gnome 64 bit yesterday along with VMWare Workstation, Nessus and some other little tools. So far, I have nothing to complain about. It will become my main OS.

But I miss the little drop-down that used to be in the lower panel in Backtrack 4. I used it a lot for quickly typing commands such as "shutdown -h 0", "reboot", etc. Do you guys know how to put it back? I don't even know how it's called...  :-[

That's the "Run Command" applet in KDE. For KDE, If you right click on the panel and then select "add applet to panel" and then search by scrolling down to the "run command" applet, then select "add to panel".
For Gnome it's almost the same, right click on the panel and then select "add to panel" and then select "run application", it's not exactly the same as KDE (with a text box) but provides the same finctionality.

I don't get the "add applet to panel" with 32-bit KDE installation. Therea re only widgets to add and there is no run command widget among them. Any ideas?

ALT+F2 will drop a box from the top of the screen that'll give you the same functionality.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Sat May 21, 2011 3:23 pm

The BT dev team posted on twitter they will be working on bugs and adding more new tools this week.
<<

AndyB67

Post Sun May 22, 2011 5:23 pm

I've got the ISO's sat here screaming at me to install them and i've not had the chance yet as it's been so manic round here this last few weeks!

Really need to look at getting the installs done this week.
Net+ Sec+ More to come
Previous

Return to Tools