Choosing certifications - New in this business

<<

pwned

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Choosing certifications - New in this business

I'm about to graduate from my univeristy and thinking about reading up some on security and pentesting.

I've been looking on OSCP for some time now and wondering if it's the way to go. The thing is that I've been using Backtrack for a few years back and been into pentesting (web) for a few years. And I'm currently reading up on exploit development, thereby OSCP since I've heard that it's one of a kind certification.

I've been gathering CCNA, CCNA Sec, CCNP Route under my time at the university so I feel that I've got a solid ground on networking.

So basically what I'm looking for is what certification that I should get into regarding pentesting, what I need to take into the equation is that I'm living in Sweden and I'm not sure what kind of certifications that are recognized.

What certification suite my "needs"?
<<

KrisTeason

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Choosing certifications - New in this business

Looking at your background, I would say go for the PWB course. I walked in with a basic networking background (having taken a Networking class in high school that helps prep you for the Network+ exam). I also had 3 years usage with BackTrack. Here's my review of the course if you haven't checked it out yet, maybe it'll help you out someway -> PWB v3 Review

what I need to take into the equation is that I'm living in Sweden and I'm not sure what kind of certifications that are recognized.

You may want to check out this thread here. I'm not positive if these results reflect your Country but they're recognized over here in the US. I can also verify that there's a broad range of students from all over the globe taking the course. When I was taking the course I met a couple folks from Europe.

I think you will fit in just fine and have a blast. Be sure to take into consideration that the Off-Sec guys recommend the 60 day training!

Congrats on graduating and welcome to forums!

-Kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:40 pm

<<

pwned

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:36 am

Thanks for the replies, they really helped me deceid.

I will dig a little deeper in this subject, but rest asured, I will try to take OSCP through the summer. Well, sitting inside hacking for 24 hours when the sun i shining, it may be a pitty but I'm looking forward to it!

@cd1zz
I like the first lines in your review: "...and have av understanding wife".

Once again, thx for the info, and I must say that it's the best welcome I've had on any forms in the subject :)
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Why don't you contact the companies in your region that perform these types of services and see what they recommend?

Consider performing some informational interviews (google the term for ideas).
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

InfoSecEdu

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Here are a couple articles we posted you might find interesting:

Some common Infosec job roles and related certifications
http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/c ... fications/

How to Learn the IT Skills of a Security Professional
http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/g ... fessional/

These are just a couple of articles intended for people trying to figure out how to break into information security.
<<

Yanni

Post Tue May 24, 2011 10:52 am

I think a lot of you are missing the point of this... InfoSecEdu - you need to find out what you are passionate about. Don't waste years just following something that will just pay you well... In the long run, if you are passionate about what you do, then you will do much better. Sorry to get a philosophical in this forum... ;D
Certified Ethical Hacker Professor at Phoenix Training Solutions in Baltimore, MD. http://www.phoenixts.com/it-courses/cer ... tion-dc-md
<<

MaXe

Post Tue May 24, 2011 11:38 am

Ask Acidgen on the Freenode IRC network, when he's online  :) He will know, even though he loves Offensive Security too and will probably recommend that since it gives you good hands-on experience in a legal and challenging lab  :)

If you want something internationally accepted, it's CISSP and CEH most likely. Right after it's SANS courses and GIAC certifications, or additional ISC2 certifications.
I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to General Certification