Checkpoint Certification

<<

skel

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:32 am

Checkpoint Certification

Hi Negrita and friends

Hope this is the right group to post it.

I went through the Checkpoint Training last year (Dec I think). I got my exam vouchers extended till mid next year. But hope to do it by end this year.

We do have Checkoint NG running but havent had a chance to do much with it.  I am planning to put up a test enviorenment if possible.

But for Now I am going to take a break for week or so ( Well that means will do only office work !  :-\ ) be4 thinking about CP.

I sure can use some advise when I start stying.

Regards
Skel
<<

Negrita

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:01 pm

Re: Checkpoint Certification

Hey Skel,

Did you get the official courseware when you did the course? If you did, then read it through numerous times before attempting the exam. Have the software running in the background as you read and check out and research everything as you read it.

Pay attention to very small details as they ask you insane things during the exam like the colours of the icons in the SmartView Tracker and what they mean.

The exam objectives have changed since I did my CCSA, but I was asked very heavily about NAT, Authentication and about the Rule-Base. I'm sure that these 3 topics still get heavily asked about in the exam. I was also asked a lot about SmartDefense. The SmartDefense Storm Centre received a disproportionately large number of questions in relation to the 4 pages in which it is mentioned in the course material. Know all the different types of attacks, including which OSI layer they work on and also which protocols/services they exploit.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

luckydevil

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:59 pm

Skel,

I took the exam about 2 years ago and got the same as Negrita, Smartdefense and StormCenter...confused me as it was not really covered that much.
In terms fo a test environment i did find that installing the software from the CD that came with the courseware came in handy, do not want to mess around with the live system at work anymore than normal. You can install it on any system without causing any problems at it is only a demo of what can be done. if in dounbt vmware is the way forward...

One big question did you take the second course as well as the CCSA one. It is just that i found that on the first course they told you how to configure it and the second course told you how to install and set it up. A bit strange but if you have done both you should be in a stronger position as in hindsight i found personally that the courses flowed into both exams.
Saying all this it was a while ago i took all this so it may well have changed plus as always no exam is the same as tey take it from such a large batch of questions.
Nothing is impossible just improbable!!!
<<

skel

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:12 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice. I did go through both CCNA and SE training. But cant remember anything now  ???

The guy who did the couse was not very satisfactiry either. We did complain to the program director and he changed his style on day 3 onwards. But I still  I wouldnt recommed him to any one.  I did my CCSA and CCSE for CP2000 about 5 yrs ago and that instructor was GOOD!.

So I have my official gudes and the CDs. It will be like starting fresh.  :'(

Question :
Is there any difference in NG/AI and NGX certification ?

Regards
Skel
<<

Negrita

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:54 am

skel wrote:Question :
Is there any difference in NG/AI and NGX certification ?

Yes, there is! Compare the exam objectives for exam 156-210 with those for exam 156-215.

It seems as though they have done away with all the licensing and the upgrade sections, and they have incorporated VPN and encryption into the new exam.

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

supafly613

Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:04 pm

Having taken the NG FP1, NG FP2, NG FP3, NG AI, and NGX exams I can honestly say that the one thing that these exams all having in common is that the course materials are all taken from the docs which you can download from the CP site.

Specifically (for NGX):
FireWall and SmartDefense User Guide
VPN User Guide
Cluster XL User Guide
SmartCenter User Guide

Another good document to get your hands on is the Advanced Technical Reference Guide (which is always good to thumb through before going to the exams)
Andrew Hay
NSA, CCSE Plus, CCNA, Security+, RHCE, GCIA, GCIH, SSP-MPA, SSP-CNSA
blog: http://www.andrewhay.ca
email: andrewsmhay || at || gmail.com
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:19 pm

Here is a direct link:
http://www.checkpoint.com/support/technical/documents/docs_r62.html

It does require registration though to download.

@Andrew Hay
So you would recommend reading this guides versus purchasing a book in order to prepare for the exam?
<<

supafly613

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:55 am

@oleDB

I would only recommend this route if you have:

1) The time to put into reading through all the docs (as the training material is condensed and tells you exactly what you need to know)
2) A problem paying $500 USD for the course book if you order directly from Check Point
3) You don't have the time or the means to attend a formal class

I'd like to think that i have the money kicking around to take the course but sometimes that isn't the case.
Andrew Hay
NSA, CCSE Plus, CCNA, Security+, RHCE, GCIA, GCIH, SSP-MPA, SSP-CNSA
blog: http://www.andrewhay.ca
email: andrewsmhay || at || gmail.com
<<

crate

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:14 pm

Just adding my two cents,
i hope no one is detered by what I am about to say, CCSA NGX is a tough exam, however knowing your material inside out and not relying much on braindumps, practice q&a,... is great but every little thing counts. 
There is a vm available on opsec for your use, practice, and the entire smartconsole is there.

As in any course of study, don't just know what is there for the exam but what is beyond and you will find true success.

I wish all you who read this well and don worry with a bit of work CCSA NG / NGX is achievable.

Good Luck
<<

Negrita

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:49 am

Good advice crate. I can second all that - at least it was like that when I did my CCSA NG/AI, so I presume that CCSA NGX must be of the same level.

Return to General Certification