Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:16 pm

plz help .. i need a advice

hi every one
am planning to study CEH .. but i dont know from where i should start
my knowledge about computer is good
i didn't study computer but i know normal thing about it
i just want to know before i enter the CEH class
1- what pre knowledge i should have ?
2- and is CEH is Only CEH as one course or it have Branchs???
    what i mean when i GO to sign for a CEH course they will ask me
    what field of CEH you want to study ???

am kind of lost here so plz people any idea???
and what is the best way to start coz i do anything just to reach the CEH course

thanx
<<

H4TT1fn4TT

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:17 am

Re: plz help .. i need a advice

You are talking about CEH as if it is the same word as penetration testing. Let's clarify that first. CEH is  course that teaches you penetration testing and is offered by the EC council. Here is a link to it:
http://www.eccouncil.org/certification/ ... acker.aspx

To be able to take the exam you will need to get authorized to do so:
http://www.eccouncil.org/certification/ ... _exam.aspx

I have no idea what type of background you would need to take the course. However from what I understand it is mostly aimed at using tools. So I would guess that a basic knowledge of networking and maybe programming would do.

I hope a CEH certified member will be able to give you some more details.
"The quality of programmers is a decreasing function of the density of go to statements in the programs they produce."
<<

cmdsync

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:33 pm

You first have to consider your background.  Are you a system adminisrator? Helpdesk tech?  Programmer?  End user? All of these questions have to be answered by you first.  The course will impress upon you some legalities, tons of tools (courseware for version 6 has around 4000 pages of material), and if you have a good instructor, some real world examples of how the tools are applied. 

You need to be familiar with Linux, Windows, and preferably OS X, as well as any other system you can get your hands on.  At an absolute minimum, I recommend knowing Windows well, both from a user and an administrative stance, and learn linux using a virtual machine.

There are requirements for taking the exam and the course itself.  Follow the links in H4TT1fn4TT's post. 

Version 7 has just been released, and the reviews are limited right now.  Wait a couple of months, get some real world admin/helpdesk experience, and then look into the certification.  The more experience you bring to the table, the more you will get from the course, and eventually the certification.  Good luck in which ever you choose!
<<

sil

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 pm

H4TT1fn4TT wrote:Let's clarify that first. CEH is  course that teaches you penetration testing

Alright, I have to wholeheartedly disagree here with bias coming from a pentester point of view. C|EH in my opinion mainly teaches about tools used in the security arena and how some of those tools may be applied but it won't teach you much about penetration testing per-se.

I had a discussion with Clement Dupuis about this two years ago: https://www.professionalsecuritytesters ... le941.html so please read it fully. The C|EH will NOT make you a pentester in no shape form or fashion. It may get your feet wet, but it will not make you a pentester.
<<

H4TT1fn4TT

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:03 am

I can not visit the link you pasted into your post. The website is untrusted according to Firefox. But I will keep in mind what you said. I am not certified penetration tester in any way so I am glad I learned something new as well. All I can give as advise to people is what I find myself using google on these kind of subjects.
"The quality of programmers is a decreasing function of the density of go to statements in the programs they produce."

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker