Question

<<

Tigerjz32

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Question

Wasn't sure where to post it, so sorry if it is in the wrong section.

I have few questions, and 1st is that how does a website save its combination of username and password? for example: facebook... I am trying to make my own website, and it will have username and password, to login. Is is just a database that we create for it or what...?

2nd When I save me settings on an internet browser does it save them according to the TCP/IP and Physical Address?

Thank You
And sorry again if this isn't the right sections, though NIC card is a hardware  ;)
<<

MaXe

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Re: Question

Tigerjz32 wrote:Wasn't sure where to post it, so sorry if it is in the wrong section.

I have few questions, and 1st is that how does a website save its combination of username and password? for example: facebook... I am trying to make my own website, and it will have username and password, to login. Is is just a database that we create for it or what...?

2nd When I save me settings on an internet browser does it save them according to the TCP/IP and Physical Address?

Thank You
And sorry again if this isn't the right sections, though NIC card is a hardware  ;)

1) Most websites saves logon credentials in a database where the table name could be: users . In this table there are several columns, where id is a unique key identifying the user, and username contains the username, perhaps the one used to log onto the website with where the password field  contains the password. vBulletin stores passwords in an algorithm like this: md5(md5($password). $salt); (So, the database table 'users' also contains a field called 'salt').

2) If you mean save settings on a website and not actually the settings in Internet Explorer, then it's mostly stored in cookies and / or sessions. (www.w3schools.com). If it's the actual settings inside Internet Explorer and not for websites, it's probably stored in the registry database on your computer.

If all this sounds like gibberish or some of it does, I encourage you to Google about this, perhaps learn PHP and MySQL to understand how websites works along with the TCP protocol suite including IP, and HTTP.
Last edited by MaXe on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

H4TT1fn4TT

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Re: Question

Some extra information regarding your first question.

A database allows for the storing of almost any type of information (even files, however this is not a good practice).

PHP is a programming language meant for web development mainly and allows you to write scripts that perform certain tasks. One of these could be to connect to a database,collect the information in it and display it. Or to compare a certain password (often hashed, salted) with the one stored in the database. PHP can then be used for example to write an 'if' statement to see if the password was correct and allowing certain privileges if so.

However, if you are just building a small website for yourself and you are inexperienced (and not to forget security is not that important). It would be best to just look into PHP only and start experimenting in the beginning. Even if you would use PHP to communicate with a database it would give you no advantages over only using PHP if your code is poorly (insecure) written.

Some good links with tutorials on PHP (my favorite is the second one).
http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp
http://www.tizag.com/phpT/

Just some additional information. PHP does not allow you to create those nice interfaces you see everywhere. For that you would need to learn some other languages like HTML and CSS,
"The quality of programmers is a decreasing function of the density of go to statements in the programs they produce."

Return to Hardware