Looking to break in to field

<<

Trebin

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:48 am

Looking to break in to field

My name is Trebin and I am new to the site. I will graduating with my Master's in Computer Science in June and I currently work for the Federal Government. I am very interested in transitioning my career in to Computer Security and have been interested in Ethical hacking, pen testing and what not. Since I am new and nt much of this is duscussed in grad school I am looking for some pointers on where to begin. Such as, good entry level books, software, best OS to use (I have Linux Mint at home now, noob at it). I am not sure what else to ask I am not really sure on what else I am missing. Look forward to hearing back from everyone.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: Looking to break in to field

Welcome and good luck on your chosen path.

For starters, try the pinned threads at the top of the Network Pen Testing Board.

Let me know what you think,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Trebin

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:20 am

I will certainly do that. Thank you for the quick response.
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:35 am

Hi Trebin,

Welcome and I am sure if you have any question people on here be only to happy to try and help.

As Don said look at the threads at the top to start off. There are also many good resources on this site.

You may want to take a look at this link shows how to set up a virtual lab http://www.securityaegis.com/pentest-lab-web-application-edition/

Try and get involved if you are in the USA try go to defcon or see if there are any local 2600 meeting near you. if you are in the Uk try http://ypisg.bcs.org/ just get involved with security this will let you meet new people and make some good contacts.

I have a website too for anyone who is new to penetration testing that may help with lots linkshttp://www.jamierougive.co.uk/index.html

If you dont have any certification think about where to start depending on your current expierence and where you are based. CISSP,ECH,CREST,Security +,OSWP,OSPC,eLearnSecurity,hackingdojo there are lots more too depending on the job you want in security.

I hope this helps :)
<<

Trebin

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:57 pm

I am back on the site, been a crazy year for me. Is hackingdojo.com a good site to actually learn hacking techniques? I need to learn how hackers function and attack networks. I seen the recommendation and based on the price I was just curious to see how good it is because I am considering signing up for the courses.
<<

Triban

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:59 am

Twitter is a good resource as well and if you want something that may not cost you like a trip to vegas and defcon, look for a Bsides event near you! 

http://www.securitybsides.com

Also you can follow me on twitter @dewser and look through my list and follow some of those folks.

Also subscribe to some podcasts.

Pauldotcom
ISD Podcast
Exotic Liability
Network Security Podcast

That should get you started!  Also you are in the Federal Government, so you might want to ask around.  The NSA is always looking for talent and if you can get clearance then that will make things easier for you.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:07 am

also worth joining some IRC channels too like #intern0t elearnsecurity good too.
<<

MaXe

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Don't forget to check out the InterN0T forums as well, there's a lot of goodies there  :)

Jamie.R wrote:also worth joining some IRC channels too like #intern0t elearnsecurity good too.

Awesome  ;D
I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to Career Central