CV Advice

<<

millwalll

Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:24 pm

CV Advice

Hi all,

I want some advice I am trying to update my CV but not sure what I should add. I really want in info security and was thinking of adding something like this:

I am also a member of the British Computer Society this allows me to get involved with Computer security this is a field I hope to work in and would be looking for roles that head me in this direction.

However since I don't yet have any experience in security should I not put this ?am i limiting my options ?should i not be so honest ?

<<

venom77

Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: CV Advice

What kind of experience do you have? If you don't have security experience already, I think you're going to find it difficult to get a security position.

You may be better off getting in somewhere first (maybe network/system administration) and expressing your interest in security to your employer - taking on security tasks, making suggestions, etc. This will hopefully get you more security-related projects and thus experience to put onto the CV for the next role.

This all really depends on what your background is... can you give us more information?
<<

millwalll

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:59 am

Hi,

I don't really have any experience at the moment but working hard getting some by doing hackingdojo and OSWP. I just want to be honest to companies and let them know I want to work in security as I keep getting put forward for jobs like web designer by agencies.
<<

AndyB67

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:32 pm

millwall, just done a 3 day course that included CV writing.  We were shown that when you are taking a change in direction of your career then you should start your CV with a one paragraph 'career objective' statement.  This should state the direction you want to go, and if you are doing anything about it (ie courses/ working with mentor etc)

Next should be a personal profile listing 2-3 personal qualities, 2 key strenghts and a key qualification.  Work on this last after getting all the rest done and tailor it to the advert you are applying for as best as possible.

Then in your next section you list your key skills/experience as they relate to the job your applying for, not forgetting your soft skills (communication, management, any other IT skills/qualifications).  You should try to match at least 70% of your key skills to the ones listed in the job description where possible.  This can be a little difficult when you do a change in direction.

You next need a paragraph on achievements/competancies.  Try use ones that emphasise your personal qualities/ key strengths where possible.

Should put a para in about your experience in the field at this point.  Also expand on your reasons for wanting to enter your chosen field.

Career summary comes next, only need the last 10 years.

Education and Training, Looks good if you've got something to put in there already thats trade related, especially if you've done it as a distance learning package.

If you want to add hobbies and interests at the bottom then be wary of what you put in.  If you're a passionate sports fan, don't mention specific teams, just put 'enjoys watching rugby' or something along those lines.  You can guarantee that the guy who 1st reads your CV will support an opposing team who you thrashed a few days before and your CV will get filed in the bin!

You may want to start writing a 'generic' CV and list everything you can think of under each of the above headings.  Ask friends and colleagues for their thoughts and comments (if you can).  You should hopefully be able to fill a few pages then you can pick the most appropriate bits out for the CV you send out to a potential employer.  Keep it to 2 pages, no more, unless it's asking for details of competencies

I'm working on my CV at the moment and hope to get it sorted within the next week or two.  Will send you a link to it to give you some ideas as I'm in a similar boat to you  ::)
Net+ Sec+ More to come
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:26 am

Hi AndyB,

That would be really cool Thanks

Return to Career Central