How to verify CEH credentials

<<

caissyd

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:58 am

How to verify CEH credentials

Hi everyone,

Do you guys know how an employer can verify that a potential candidate really holds the CEH certification? I couldn't find it on EC-Council site.

This is just to make sure he is not lying...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: How to verify CEH credentials

We are happy to provide certification verification to potential employers and will provide the verification within 72 hours of receiving a complete request. Verification for certification requests must be made in writing and include the following:

* Certificant's full name
    * Certificant's e-mail address
    * Written verification from the certificant to allow designation information to be released to the requestor

I believe that's supposed to be emailed to info@eccouncil.org

I also think they're working on a better way to validate.
<<

JollyJokker

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:29 am

Hey there H1t M0nk3y. I just passed my CEH and I am supposed to wait for the stuff to be posted at home. Isn't there some kind of a Certification Card, ID or something? I don't know but I'd definitely expect some kind of a formal prrof paper...
<<

venom77

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:38 am

You'll obviously get a paper copy of your certification. You'll also get a written letter of achievement.
<<

rattis

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Hordakk,

I think that H1tM0nk3y wants to confirm that the materials he's being presented are real, instead of someone that's surfed the web, and modified copies of what they found online.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

JollyJokker

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:34 pm

BillV wrote:You'll obviously get a paper copy of your certification. You'll also get a written letter of achievement.

chrisj wrote:Hordakk,

I think that H1tM0nk3y wants to confirm that the materials he's being presented are real, instead of someone that's surfed the web, and modified copies of what they found online.

alright, I see now. Thank you.
<<

caissyd

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:03 am

Sorry for my late responses, but yes Hordakk, like BillV mentioned, you will get a letter, a certificate and a car sticker. For me, it took about 8 weeks before I received it.

And chrisj is right, I am looking for way the employer can verify the credentials. And in some cases, without having met the cadidate yet (after looking at their resume for example).

To me, sending emails to EC-Council is not practical at all. When I review resume, I would usually pick the best three and start digging more. I will normally call them for interviews in the same hour. So sending emails would be too slow.

But ok, thanks for your answers guys!
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

rattis

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:38 am

BillV wrote:
    * Written verification from the certificant to allow designation information to be released to the requestor

I've been interviewing lately, and out of all of them only 2 asked for the ability / had a request form to get information like that. Which were part of the application process.

The place that I got an offer, didn't even ask permission to look into my education, certs, or references until after they made the offer.

As H1t M0nk3y stated, some people want to confirm the credentials before offering the interview.

From the one side, I can see how it protects people by not being able to check until they get an offer, but at the same time there are people out there claiming things like certs and education that they don't have (Not just in InfoSec).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:57 am

Yeah, the only time I've ever been asked for verification has been at my current job (where some are required) and at school (to earn credits).

I know it's been brought up to EC-Council several times. I don't see why they can't have a portal similar to CompTIA that allows the certification holder to publish their details on-demand.
<<

rattis

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 pm

Or the Cisco version, where they give you a verification number to add to your docs (from what I understand, I'll find out later this year when I renew my CCNA).
OSWP, Sec+

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker