Anything else I can try

<<

millwalll

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:55 am

Anything else I can try

Hi all,

I am trying to break into security and need some advice.

I have a degree in Information Technology I am studying for my CISSP and also attending a pen testing course on hackingdojo.com.  I also give my free time to BCS Young professional security group more information can be found here http://www.bcs.org/content/conWebDoc/35196

Is there anything else I could be doing ? the main problem I have is I have no experience. Even tho I am trying to learn as much as I can if no company is even going to give me a chance how can I break into this industry??
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Anything else I can try

Sounds like you're already doing a lot.

Might not directly get you a job but I've found it can't hurt, start a blog and write up anything you're are doing whilst studying and learning; new tools & techniques etc. (I know, hated the idea when I started).

As well as helping you retain the info by having to write about your understanding, it can also get you involved in the community and provides a stage to show employers what you are capable of and help you stand out from other applicants.

If getting a security specific role is difficult, look at an admin or support role in a smaller organisation (<250 employees). You'll be amazed at the number of other techies that are delighted to pass off the 'boring' security tasks if you show an interest ;)

Hope this is of some help, good luck out there

(& twitter doesn't hurt either...)
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:55 am

To go with what Andrew said:

Add a lab at home. You might already have one working with hacking dojo, but a lab under your full control at home goes a long way.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks for the advice I already have lab setup and I plan to add security page to my website to explain what i been doing and tools i have been using bit like a small blog I also plan to try go to as many security events I can
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:14 pm

I think at this point, if you want a job doing it, you'lll have to trust in your resume and cover letter. Make sure you sell hard in the cover letter.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks I will just keep trying
<<

AndyB67

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:42 pm

millwalll wrote:I also plan to try go to as many security events I can

Take a supply of bussiness cards with your details on the front and your key skills/qualifications on the back.  Speak with as many people as you can, especially on any trade stands.  It's amazing the info you can pick up to tap into the 'hidden' job market.
Offering to buy a event speaker a drink after his/her talk so you can ask further 'intelligent' questions about their talk can help to get your face known!
Net+ Sec+ More to come

Return to Career Central