Help me passing GPEN

<<

Caroline92

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:48 am

Help me passing GPEN

Hi boys,

I plan to pass the GPEN exam really soon. I would really appreciate if you give me some comprehensive advices. I've heard that real exam a harder than practice ones. These are my concerns:
- what are the most complicate/hard questions? Could you give same example?
- how many types of question could be? by example: command line parameters, screen-shot utility guess, theoretical concepts, etc
- do they give any Law content questions?
- what else should I worry?

I really want to pass it above 90..

Many thanks,
xxx
<<

ziggy_567

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:02 am

Re: Help me passing GPEN

If the GPEN is like the three GIAC exams I've taken, the practice exams are very much like the actual exam. I don't think I've ever seen the same question on both, but the questions are very comparable to the practice exams. Take whatever you made on the practice exams (if you took them as if they're the real test) and add about 5 points. That will likely be your final score. I find that I focus better when its FOR REAL.

By the way, I doubt anyone here will give you examples of actual questions as you sign a non-disclosure agreement as part of the exam.

Best of luck to you!
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

tturner

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 am

This list should give you what you need to determine what might be covered by the exam

http://www.giac.org/certbulletin/gpen.php

I found the real exam to be very close to the practice exams and as Ziggy mentioned I did slightly better on it as well.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

caissyd

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:02 pm

To add to what tturner and ziggy_567 said, I even found the exam a little bit easier than the practice tests...

How did you do on the practice tests? If you did 80% or better, you will be fine.

When are you planning to write the exam?
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

kagyu

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:28 pm

The test is cake if you took the SANS class.  My suggestion would be to improve the index in each book to allow you to find things easier if you want to double-check before you answer the questions.

If you didn't take the SANS class and are challenging the test, that may be more challenging.
<<

timmedin

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:55 pm

kagyu wrote:The test is cake if you took the SANS class.  My suggestion would be to improve the index in each book to allow you to find things easier if you want to double-check before you answer the questions.

If you didn't take the SANS class and are challenging the test, that may be more challenging.

I totally agree with kagyu. If you have taken the class and you have the books the test isn't hard to pass. You have plenty of time to look stuff up, so do it. They aren't breaking any new ground here, so look in the books.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

humv

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 pm

I just toke the test on Wed and passed it. I did the OnDemand course, didn't get the chance to attend the course. Having said that a couple of things I would suggest and agree with the comments above.

1 - Improve the index
2 - Create a crib sheet of all apps and switches
3 - Take your break, even take extras if you have to.
4 - Pay attention to the more obscure apps they mention

Other than that you should do fine. Good luck

humv
Certifications: EETN, CCNA, GCFW, GAWN, GCFA, GPEN, GCIA, GCWN
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:54 pm

Congrats and thanks for offering up advice. I'm sure it will help others pass GPEN in the future.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Ninja

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 am

Appreciate the help for GPEN sheet as it will be very helpful for memorizing the course material,

Thanks,
<<

Metahuman

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:48 am

I apologize for replying to this old thread, but I'm planning to take the Challenge mode for GPEN. Though I managed to find an older version of GPEN notes, I could not find the latest ones.

Can some one please share their GPEN study material with me?

Thanks.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:12 am

Metahuman wrote:I apologize for replying to this old thread, but I'm planning to take the Challenge mode for GPEN. Though I managed to find an older version of GPEN notes, I could not find the latest ones.

Can some one please share their GPEN study material with me?

Thanks.

That's against SANS policy.

Source: http://www.sans.org/faq/#faq123

Q: Can I transfer my self study or online course materials to another student?

A: You cannot transfer, share or give your self study material to another person. The following is noted when you access your course material through your portal account.

"Important Notice: By accessing the SANS GIAC online course material, practice tests, exams, and related files, the student agrees to the following.

I understand that my license to use SANS electronic course materials is exclusively for my individual professional development. I will not transfer nor will I allow others to use the course materials or the test questions. I will not use any part of this material for teaching others nor will I incorporate it, nor allow it to be incorporated, in any other training materials or publications, electronic or print, without prior specific written consent of the SANS Institute."
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

Metahuman

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:23 am

Ouch. Thanks for the information.
<<

walk

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:02 am

Hello All,
New to the site.

I took the SEC560 course last week and I plan to pass the GPEN exam within the next 45 days.  I haven't started indexing my books but plan to start this weekend.  I'm new to Linux and the tools covered in the course so I've been trying to watch every video I can find to supplement my learning.  Thanks for all your posts as it is encouraging and provide a wealth of information.  Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute soon.

- Walk

Return to GPEN - GIAC Certified Penetration Tester