Finding stolen on wifi network - need help

<<

SIRU

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:16 am

Finding stolen on wifi network - need help

Hi,

Can you help??

We were broken into last week and they took all our valuables including 2 laptops and 2 ipads.  Lots of work on the laptops including a near finished thesis.  We're in a bad way and can't aford to replace everything.

One of the ipads popped up for a short while on the "Find my iphone" app in a housing complex 25 mins away, but has since disappered from that app.  I've been out to the estate and there are lots of wifi networks around.  Is there a way to scan these and find out what devices are on them?

Any help/advice would be greatly appriciated.

Many thanks,

SIRU
<<

MaXe

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:22 am

Re: Finding stolen on wifi network - need help

Scanning WiFi networks without permission from the legal owners is illegal, and you would have to break into those not "closed" and encrypted, and then look for connected equipment which could be done with a simple nmap scan.

Using a Wireless Access Point which isn't public, but open is illegal to connect to in most countries if you don't have explicit permission from the owner. In some countries, one can get a fine from the police for having an open WiFi network.
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

TheXero

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Finding stolen on wifi network - need help

As long as you don't attempt to connect to the network, or feed any data etc you should be fine

Just using software like kismet or airodump-ng on a monitor mode enabled wireless card should do the trick

It will not send any packets or probes etc, meaning that even if the ipod is not connected to anything, you should still be able to find it

Even if the network is encrypted, you will see the device(s) via their mac address, as long as you have that, you will be ok as mac addresses are unique, there should be no two mac addresses in the world that are the same

Return to Wireless