Metasploit Penetration Testers Book

<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:14 am

Metasploit Penetration Testers Book

Just came across this on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Metasploit-Penetration-Testers-David-Kennedy/dp/159327288X/

Since metasploit is developing rapidly i can not wait to see what is inside! i wonder if they can make it interesting enough to buy since a great deal is already available through Metasploit Unleashed.

For the people who do not know Metasploit Unleashed: Shame on you! (just kidding, here is the URL) http://www.offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed/Metasploit_Unleashed_Information_Security_Training
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:21 am

Re: Metasploit Penetration Testers Book

Too bad it only gets released in June!

With these big names, this can't be a bad book!
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:34 am

j0rDy wrote:Since metasploit is developing rapidly

I think this will be the problem, I own several similar resources (Metasploit toolkit for penetration testers and Penetration Testers Open Source Toolkit) but find the material quickly becomes obsolete with continuous development on tools and frameworks.

This is one area that I think the Metasploit Unleased site really thrives, being able to keep up with the latest development within the framework.

I'll probably still add the book to my bookshelf (can't help myself), but don't expect it to stay relevant for too long with the current pace of development within the MSF.
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:15 am

You are right Andrew, but for those who are starting, books could be very useful.

But as you mentioned, if you use Metasploit regularly, you shouldn't need a book...
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 am

H1t M0nk3y wrote:You are right Andrew, but for those who are starting, books could be very useful.

But as you mentioned, if you use Metasploit regularly, you shouldn't need a book...

for the first time ever, i dont agree with you hitmonkey ;)

Even if you use metasploit on a regular basis, lets say for penetration purposes, there are still a lot of features which you may not have used before. Think of pivoting attacks, karmetasploit and the auxiliary tools to name a few. A book may come in handy at that point, but what will make people buy the book instead of searching for the information in Metasploit Unleashed?
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:41 am

j0rDy wrote:but what will make people buy the book instead of searching for the information in Metasploit Unleashed?

Hardcopy. Sometimes it's just easier to switch off and read a book than to work online.

(and I get less grief from the missus for sitting reading a book, than sitting with a laptop on my knee 24/7 ;) )
<<

hell_razor

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:01 am

Andrew Waite wrote:(and I get less grief from the missus for sitting reading a book, than sitting with a laptop on my knee 24/7 ;) )

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS :)
A+, Network+, Server+, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, GPEN, GCIA, GISP, GCFW
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:05 am

Ok, ok, I agree with you guys!!  :D

So j0rDy , we still agree since I have changed my mind...  ;D
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

SephStorm

Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:10 am

Hardcopy. Sometimes it's just easier to switch off and read a book than to work online.

(and I get less grief from the missus for sitting reading a book, than sitting with a laptop on my knee 24/7 ;) )

Agreed. Thats why I just purchased the CEH Study guide when I have access through books 24/7.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎

Return to Mass Media