OSCP Programming Needs

<<

nothingelse

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

OSCP Programming Needs

Hey all I am going to be starting the OSCP certification very soon.  Basically I am going to be evaluating it's relevance for how it may benefit some of my co-workers.  With that said I was just wondering how much programming knowledge is required for successful completion of the certification.  I did some light python programming in my GWAPT certification and I occasionally do Perl programming at work for task automation.  I can generally look at code and understand what it is doing, but I don't do it often enough to where I can sit down and write a new program without referring back to previous code.  Do you think that this will be good enough for what is required for this cert?  This is my biggest concern about whether I can pass this certification as I have read varying things on here.  I have been working as a Security/Intrusion analyst for 3 years now so I feel that the security networking aspect won't be a problem.  Appreciate any insight that anybody could provide.
GCIA Gold, GWAPT
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: OSCP Programming Needs

NothingElse,

I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm out of date, OSCP was version 2 when I was on the course.

To me the programming requirements were fairly minor, if you've coded in the past and can understand the concepts of loop, conditional statements etc. then you should be fine. I felt that the labs and videos did a good job of gently introducing the requirements, and the examples were easy to follow along with and use as a basis for the exercises.

If you've done some Python/Perl in the past then you should have enough experience to be able to work through the OSCP requirements.

Hope this helps, good luck on the course. Just make sure you enjoy it (you will) and that you TRY HARDER (you'll have too ;) )
<<

nothingelse

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:49 pm

Andrew,
Thanks for the reply.  You have eased my concerns a bit.  I will brush up a little on my python just to be safe.  Hoping to start within the next two weeks  ;D.
GCIA Gold, GWAPT
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:04 am

brush up your shell scripting, and understand (as in be able to read and modify) perl, python and ruby scripts. You will have plenty of time to do that during the course. if you can do this you will be fine. Good luck and keep us posted!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP, eCPPT, eWAPT

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

KrisTeason

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:07 am

Just wanting to ease your concerns down some more; Having taken version 3 of the course and looking at your relevant experience listed of what you've toyed with, you should be good to go. The course has some python and bash scripting in it, and some of the exercises have been tailored to fit your appropriate scripting language needs. Like for example, a couple exercises that may involve programming give you the option of scripting language to complete it in.

Andrew Waite was right on the spot though with his response - I just wanted to help you feel more at ease. Pythons great!
<<

nothingelse

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks everyone I am ready to get it started.  Just waiting for the green light from work  ;D
GCIA Gold, GWAPT

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional