CISSP AIO by Shon Harris

<<

DrivinTin

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 pm

CISSP AIO by Shon Harris

Does anyone happen to have the CISSP All-in-One by Shon Harris that they would like to sell or exchange?  I really wanted to run through the book before the test, but not sure if it is worth the $40 to use as a review.

Thanks
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

Data_Raid

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:47 am

Re: CISSP AIO by Shon Harris

The CISSP AIO 4th Edition is available on Google books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=tiKZ-0 ... &q&f=false

The latest AIO version is the 5th edition released in 2010, I have heard that there isn't much of a difference between the 4th and 5th editions (but don't take my word for it)  :)
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 am

Hey,

I have the 5th edition at home (I am studying for CISSP too!) and it is worth 40$. 1216 pages of pure pleasure...  :P

I am also watching the 4th edition of Shon Harris DVD and it helps save a lot of time. Although you get tire quickly to look at a person lecturing you, it helps me save a lot of time in my study...

http://www.amazon.com/CISSP-Video-Cours ... 962&sr=8-7
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:49 pm

I have the book/dvds as well... about to really get into them in preparation for my cissp.  Frist thing I noticed (20 some pages in) was that they refer to DDOS as being the most common use of botnets or something... which was interesting... could have sworn it making SPAM.  Mmmm... Spam-burger...

Yeah, not sure on the actual worthwhile nature of it, but it seems fairly ok in general thus far.  I'll give a report on my thoughts after I'm done with all her material.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:30 pm

You're right g00d_4sh, she is often quick to say things that aren't necessary accurate. For example, she seems to think that IDS will catch ALL attacks, hackers are all script kiddies, etc...

But I take it with a grain of salt. It's probably good enough for CISSP, since it is "one mile wide, one inch deep".
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

DrivinTin

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:49 am

Thanks guys, it sounds like it is worth getting then.  Let me ask you this, how many diagrams are there in it?  I know it sounds weird, but would rather just grab it on my kindle, but all the diagrams can be a pain when trying to reference anything.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

Macphisto

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Just went through the copy I bought today (recently decided to push from System/Network Admin into heavier security and work towards a cert) and only counted 8 diagrams in 50 pages that I selected entirely unscientifically.  It varies, obviously, but as I look through it, it's not what I would consider diagram heavy, and what diagrams it has shouldn't really look too bad on a Kindle. 
CCNA

Goals for this year:
CISSP
CCNA:S
<<

DrivinTin

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 pm

I ended up buying it from Amazon last week, and WOW! We have all spent money on tech books and got this overprices flimsy 100 page book in the mail, that is not the case here.  It was only around $45 on Amazon, and I feel like I honestly just got $45 worth of paper alone before it was even printed on.  The book is close to 1300 pages and is massive!  I have started going through it, mostly just a slight review, but it is actually a pretty decent read so far.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

Data_Raid

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:37 am

The AIO book is one of the best CISSP study guides available imo. The self test software is also pretty good but nothing like the actual exam but it's useful for reinforcing concepts and terms. There are retired CISSP exam questions available from https://www.expresscertifications.com/ISC2/Catalog.aspx which realistically reflect the format of the CISSP exam questions.
http://www.cccure.org also has some great information like study tips for various Security exams such as CISSP, CISA, CISM and more. You can also take some free practice exams for the CISSP here: https://www.freepracticetests.org/quiz/ ... e=register

Good luck!

Aristotle
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:13 am

Good links Data_Raid.  I'll have to go through them.  I actually put my CISSP studies on the back burner for a couple months.  I'm currently getting ready to get Crossfit Certified first, since an opening for the testing opened up back in my home city, which gave me a good excuse to head back to the states for a few days.  I look forward to going over the links you provided though when I find a few moments. 

Yeah H1t M0nk3y ... that has been my perspective on her book so far.  Not 100% accurate, but seems to get the job done. 
<<

Data_Raid

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 pm

g00d_4sh wrote:Good links Data_Raid.  I'll have to go through them.  I actually put my CISSP studies on the back burner for a couple months.  I'm currently getting ready to get Crossfit Certified first, since an opening for the testing opened up back in my home city, which gave me a good excuse to head back to the states for a few days.

You're welcome.
Crossfit, nice! I've tried some of the CF exercises and they are brutal, great for keeping in shape though.

Aristotle
<<

Macphisto

Post Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 am

Not sure if you got the book with the DVD included, but if you did, there is a chapter-by-chapter copy of the book in PDF format included on the DVD.  Pretty nice for tossing onto the Kindle/iBooks/etc instead of carrying that brick of a book around.  When I'm reading at night, I've taken to reading from the dead-tree version, but when I'm at work or waiting for my daughter at daycare, I hop to pdf on the Kindle. 
CCNA

Goals for this year:
CISSP
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 am

I've got the full meal deal with the dead tree pages, dvds... you name it.  I'm just using the book for now, since I feel I should get some use out of that thing other than a door stop, or something to smack a burglar with.  Though.. if I had a kindle, I'd probably use it. :/  Santa never arrived with one this year heh, maybe next year.

Yeah, I've been doing crossfit for about 4 years now.  First time in my life where I really ENJOY working out instead of it being a chore to keep in shape heh.  I figure it can be a good side business that is transferable with my work as I move from country to country.  That, and it helps with my surfing heh. 
<<

Macphisto

Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 am

g00d_4sh wrote:I've got the full meal deal with the dead tree pages, dvds... you name it.  I'm just using the book for now, since I feel I should get some use out of that thing other than a door stop, or something to smack a burglar with.  Though.. if I had a kindle, I'd probably use it. :/  Santa never arrived with one this year heh, maybe next year.

Yeah, I've been doing crossfit for about 4 years now.  First time in my life where I really ENJOY working out instead of it being a chore to keep in shape heh.  I figure it can be a good side business that is transferable with my work as I move from country to country.  That, and it helps with my surfing heh. 

The Kindle is nice for on-the-spot reading but I still find myself going to the paper version at nights.  One thing I've read about the CISSP exam is that, given it's non-technical content, it's often described as "a vocabulary test," albeit a difficult one.  So I've been using a highlighter to mark sections that I think are likely to be adapted to exam questions.  Then I go back through the highlighted parts and start creating facts in Anki (http://ankisrs.net - a Spaced Repetition System.  I've been using to study Japanese.) and have even considered using Cloze Deletions to make the cards a bit more test-like. 

My only other cert is a CCNA (speaking of which I need to renew that - where am I going to find the time?) and I'm hoping that I can adapt my study methods to a non-technical cert like CISSP.  Once I have that, I'm planning to push into considerably more technical certs to fulfill my CPE requirements. 

How hard is it to start Cross fit?  I've been working on weight loss (calorie counting, etc) and once it's warm I'm hoping I can get back into barefoot/minimal-footwear running. 
CCNA

Goals for this year:
CISSP
<<

gray_hat

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:45 am

Hi,

I recommend using the Official ISC2 Study Guide as well as Shon Harris.

You never know what clicks from the official study guide. Trust me I bought the official guide and I KNOW it was worth it after I gave the exam.

BTW 40$s for a used book - Kidding me?
Next

Return to Security