CEH to OSCP

<<

knwminus

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:54 pm

CEH to OSCP

Greetings,

I will be completing the CEH sometime in the next few months. I know it isn't the end all be all of pen tester certs but I am looking to get my feet wet. After that, I plan on doing the elearnsecurity course (and cert). After that I am thinking of doing the OSCP course but I am wondering if anyone has moved from CEH level to OSCP level in less than a year. I know the test (and exams) are polar opposites but I am wondering how much of a step up one is from another. MCP to MCSE? CCNA to CCNP (or CCIE)?

Also if anyone has done the elearnsecurity course and the offensive security course, I'd like to know how the step up between those two as well. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I guess another good question would be that if you had to choose between Offensive security course and Elearnsecurity course which would you choose? I am in my first real year of infosec experience but I have worked on helpdesk and in nocs before.
Thanks!!!
Last edited by knwminus on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A+ N+ CCNA CCNA:S CNSS 4011 Security+

Next Up: CCNP CCNP:S
<<

DrivinTin

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: CEH to OSCP

I was just replying to your comment on my ECSA thread and thought of some other stuff that applies more with this thread.  I feel like a lot of the certs are just to qualify to HR to get an interview, especially the CISSP, but it can all be rote knowledge. I think we can all say we have learned while prepping for tests, but we have also crammed a bunch of things in there and dumped them as soon as the test was over.  That is where I feel the OSCP takes the next step by making you demonstrate what you have learned.

Also slightly off target is the CCIE, that has always been one of my goals also. One thing that made me rethink that a bit is the Wilhelm book Professional Penetration Testing, he says that he has never came across a CCIE on a pen testing team. Really pen testing is my love, so made me wonder why that was.  Out of the pay grade i guess. 

Anyways, interested to hear other views on all this from the guys here. . .
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:49 pm

It really depends on your background. I went straight to the OSCP but I also had 10 years of network admin experience and a casual interest in infosec. I recently finished my OSCP and detailed my experience on my blog. I highly recommend it, it was an unbelievable experience.

http://networkadminsecrets.blogspot.com/2010/12/offensive-security-certified.html
<<

knwminus

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:00 am

I do have a few years of experience and I currently work in an infosec role. I did read your blog before i posted this question. I am considering doing the OSCP course because of the lab environment.

<<

j0rDy

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:14 am

knwminus wrote:Greetings,

I will be completing the CEH sometime in the next few months. I know it isn't the end all be all of pen tester certs but I am looking to get my feet wet. After that, I plan on doing the elearnsecurity course (and cert). After that I am thinking of doing the OSCP course but I am wondering if anyone has moved from CEH level to OSCP level in less than a year. I know the test (and exams) are polar opposites but I am wondering how much of a step up one is from another. MCP to MCSE? CCNA to CCNP (or CCIE)?

Also if anyone has done the elearnsecurity course and the offensive security course, I'd like to know how the step up between those two as well. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I guess another good question would be that if you had to choose between Offensive security course and Elearnsecurity course which would you choose? I am in my first real year of infosec experience but I have worked on helpdesk and in nocs before.
Thanks!!!

Yes, i have: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,5655.0/
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

KrisTeason

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:23 am

Hi knwminus,

I'm one of the couple guys on here who have taken both PWB and eLearnSecurity's PTP course and I've managed to review both. I took Pentesting with BackTrack first and left my review here and left my review of eLS PTP + my personal side-by-side comparison with both courses here.

I want to back cd1zz when he says it depends on your background. I'd also say it depends on how much experience you have walking into the course. If your completely new to Penetration Testing, eLearnSecurity's course is great. If you currently know how to go about implementing attack vectors, have a willingness to suffer a little bit, and put fourth hours of your time studying the course material - go for the offsec course. I think you would be risking it walking into the course as a complete beginner, but you'd still learn a ton.

Don't know if this helps, but for what it's worth :)

-Kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

knwminus

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks Kris!

As far as my background, I am still in my first year of infosec work so I am still very green in some areas. I don't have a ton of IT experience in general either (about 4+ years total) so in some ways I am still entry level. I am now leaning towards the Elearnsecurity course since my goal is holistic security analyst, not just pen testing although I do want to get OSCP and GPEN (aka intermediate pen test certs). I really want to take both classes but I might not be able to swing it since I am paying for this out of pocket. We will see. I might be able to do them both this year if I cut back on the amount of general certs I go for.

Return to Security