Where to start?

<<

roninsec

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Where to start?

Hello all, first off I would like to introduce myself,  I am 19, and I have a very deep passion for network security ;),  anyways I plan on going for the OSCP, and an associate of (ISC) within the next 2 months.  I was originally planning on taking the OSCP course first but should I go for the associate of (ISC) first since it would fill some of the CPE requirements or does this not matter?  Also does anyone here recommend any other Certs?  My goal is obviously to be able break into the network security field.  Also I am more than confident that I will be able to pass both the examinations. 
<<

DrivinTin

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Where to start?

Honestly I would say not to worry much about the CPE credits.  If you can make a conference once a year, and you are really into security then the credits are everywhere.  Just take an interest in a local security group or two and you can get them very quickly.

One thing to use caution with on the tests is that you can be the best hacker in the world and miserably fail the test. It basically comes down to what the testing group decides what it is important and the wording of the question is.

Good luck in what you decide, honestly one thing you can try is looking at some jobs you really like, and seeing what the requirements are to get the job.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

Data_Raid

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:17 am

Re: Where to start?

roninsec wrote:Hello all, first off I would like to introduce myself,  I am 19, and I have a very deep passion for network security ;),  anyways I plan on going for the OSCP, and an associate of (ISC) within the next 2 months.  I was originally planning on taking the OSCP course first but should I go for the associate of (ISC) first since it would fill some of the CPE requirements or does this not matter?  Also does anyone here recommend any other Certs?  My goal is obviously to be able break into the network security field.   Also I am more than confident that I will be able to pass both the examinations. 

Welcome to EH.NET

Regarding doing the CISSP first, I wouldn't worry too much about the CPE requirements as there are multiple methods to gain CPE's.
Depending on what certifications you currently hold, Security+ is also worthwhile doing since some of the information in Security+ is in the CISSP, so Sec+ is a good primer for CISSP plus having the Sec+ will benefit you for the 5 years experience requirement for CISSP, (ISC)2 will waiver one year experience if you have Sec+: https://www.isc2.org/credential_waiver/default.aspx
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle

Return to Security