Passed the ECSA

<<

DrivinTin

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Passed the ECSA

Welp, I know this board is a little slow, but thought I would post in here that I passed the ECSA today. For some reason I had in my mind the test was 75-100 questions, was only 50.  Wished i would have done a bit better, but got a 86%, and all I did was self study.  This test is pretty decent, mostly a side step from the CEH, such as reading what the tools spit out.  Now I am planning on applying for the LPT/Red team as soon as I get my background check back. 

Anyone else here applied to the EC-C LPT?
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

rattis

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Passed the ECSA

don't think of it not doing as good as you wanted too, think of it as an area where you need a little more study. Hopefully the test gave you feed back on where you got things wrong.

Congrats.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

DrivinTin

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks man.  Sadly this test gives you no feedback besides the score. I pretty much know what I missed, was some older scan techniques not used, and one or two that I am sure that I just read wrong. The EC-C tests are always a little bit different than i expect but overall are pretty good tests.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

SephStorm

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 pm

You should do a review of both tests, the CEH and the ECSA. It sounds like a step backwards, but will you be doing the ENSA?
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

DrivinTin

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:28 am

As far as next certs will be the CISSP and the CCNA Security.  I have wanted to take the CISSP for several months, but I am always out of town or have some other plans on the day it is offered.  I REALLY wish they would go to computer based testing for it.  I know they have talked about it for awhile, just wish it would happen.  The CCNA Security just also seems like a good logical step, i know Cisco is losing some market share, but i have a full CCIE lab here at the house, and was planning on doing that. I like working with Cisco gear so wanted to get a few of there certs too.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:49 am

Congrats, DrivinTin. What materials did you study for preparation?
<<

Xen

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:40 am

Congrats!
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:40 am

Congrats!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

mallaigh

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Congrats!

awesec wrote:Congrats, DrivinTin. What materials did you study for preparation?

Yes, please share.  It is always nice to hear what worked for other people.
<<

DrivinTin

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Well the problem with this one is I did not have the course material like i did for the CEH.  But somewhere i read someone had a forum post pretty much saying if you know the output and switches for the tools in the CEH then you have half of this test covered. So I started there, then went through the ECSA pages on the ECC site and took notes and made sure I had generally that area covered.  Then I found an old practice test that EC-C made and looked over that.  Really that was about it, I honestly try to read and study as much as i can about pen testing, and working on my CISSP as a self study.  So between the CEH and Sec+ you should be able to review notes and take this test without too many problems.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

knwminus

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Congrats!

CCNA:Security wasn't that bad. You do need to pass the CCNA to obtain it however (and the CCNA is much, much harder than the CCNA:Security).
A+ N+ CCNA CCNA:S CNSS 4011 Security+

Next Up: CCNP CCNP:S
<<

DrivinTin

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Ha, knwminus: I was just about to reply to your other thread asking about the CCNA Security. The CCNA really doesn't scare me at all, I have all the networking basics down, and torn apart and rebuilt my Cisco lab enough times to feel pretty good about working with the routers and configuring ACLs, but good to know that the CCNA Security doesn't seem to be too daunting. I am thinking that needs to be one of my next goals as soon as i knock out the CISSP.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

knwminus

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:28 pm

With your experience you should be ok. Just study up a bit as I have known some senior network engineers who have failed the CCNA (more than once). If you study well for the CCNA, most of the topics for the CCNA:S will be covered.
A+ N+ CCNA CCNA:S CNSS 4011 Security+

Next Up: CCNP CCNP:S
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:21 am

Congrats :)

I have a post somewhere here that mentions the ECSA is more of an extension to the CEH than its own certification. I have asked EC-Council to remove this certification but they said the popularity is growing.

DrivinTin wrote:Anyone else here applied to the EC-C LPT?

Yes.
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:50 am

Congrats!

So the exam is only 50 questions? How long did it take you to finish the exam? And at what time are you kicked out by the instructor? I assume the questions are multiple choice as with CEH? This one is 2nd on my list but i am still arguing with myself if i should take the course or go for it by self study...
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
Next

Return to ECSA - EC-Council Certified Security Analyst