Passed the ECSA

<<

DrivinTin

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Re: Passed the ECSA

BillV: Thanks, yeah i think it might have been one of your original posts that referenced the extension of CEH that made me decide to just self study. I would honestly like to see them revamp this test a lot if they are going to keep it.  I can understand why it could be useful, it just needs to be tuned.

j0rDy: Yeah 50 questions, I think they give you two hours to take it, more than you would ever need. If you have the CEH you know how the wording is on the test questions, it follows the same format.  Which honestly probably is why I missed a couple, i have a tendency to skip the paragraph and jump straight down to the question.  So if you do that you can finish the test pretty quickly, hah, you might just miss a few if you are not careful though.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:16 pm

The ECSA is being worked on currently. The CEH v7 will be released soon and is a major overhaul. I'm not sure whether I can release details or not but once I can EH-Net will be the first to know. I am pretty excited about it.

If you don't mind, let me know once you receive your ECSA certificate in the mail (what country are you in?) and also how long it takes to process your LPT application. Being an EC-Council committee member I like to see whether these things are getting taken care of in decent amount of time. The process to receive a certificate was supposed to be streamlined from 6-8 weeks down to 4 weeks a while back.
<<

SephStorm

Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:03 am

Crap. When will this overhaul of the CEH be released? I'm studying for it now, but i'm getting delayed because of work.

Also, do you know if they ever decided to seriously look into issuing ID cards for the non LPT certs?
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

knwminus

Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:28 am

Well that isn't good. I wonder how quicly they are trying to redo the CEH. I might have to shuffle it around in my priorities list.
A+ N+ CCNA CCNA:S CNSS 4011 Security+

Next Up: CCNP CCNP:S
<<

venom77

Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:05 pm

It will be released mid-March. The courseware, as far as I know, is ready. I have to assume they are waiting on new exam questions. That being said, I believe the objectives will be updated so any current study guides will not be aligned properly with v7 (but may still help prepare on some of the topics).

I know the ID card suggestion has come up in the past but I don't know how in-depth they looked at it.
<<

SephStorm

Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Crap. I'm swamped at work until at least April. And I just ordered the CEH Study guide....
<<

knwminus

Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Do you know when a new book is going to be out? I mean it seems like the last version of the CEH just came out. I don't think I am going to be able to squeeze this in by March. Oh well.
A+ N+ CCNA CCNA:S CNSS 4011 Security+

Next Up: CCNP CCNP:S
<<

DrivinTin

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 am

Please correct me if I am wrong here BillV, but when the new test (CEH at least) comes out it will have some overlap?  So say you studied or took the course for v6 you could still take the v6 test through the rest of the year or for 6months, something like that.

I well let you know as soon as I apply to the LPT program, I am basically waiting for the FBI check to come back, and the ECSA cert to come in the mail.  I do have a question on the LPT application though.  The reference letter part is kind of confusing.  Am I supposed to fill that out and send it in so they can send it to the reference, or have the refer send it to EC-C, or actually take it to the refer and get the response and send it all in together?  It seems like the last option, but you would get manipulated answers I would think if you were getting the letter and form from the person yourself.  I figured I would just call and ask when it came closer to time.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

SephStorm

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:39 am

Are you serious? They do a background check?!
<<

DrivinTin

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:43 pm

SephStorm: yep, in the states it has to come from the FBI and that requires a full fingerprint card to be sent in. 

Here is the actual application (7.4m PDF)
http://www.eccouncil.org/Portals/0/Docu ... cation.pdf
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

venom77

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Regarding when a book will be out, I'm assuming you mean a study guide? Hard to say as those are done by third-parties. I'm not aware of anyone working on a book currently but I'd imagine the writers of the current versions will probably just update those books.

Yes, the test will certainly have some overlap. While the objectives may change, they aren't going to be completely different. So if you've studied for v6 you may very well be prepared for v7. We won't know until they release the objectives. And yes, the v6 exam will be retired 6 months after the release of v7 (September).

As for the LPT application, I used that last option. Assuming the application is still the same, I filled out the top portion and gave that to each of my references. They filled out the bottom portion and provided a signed letter of recommendation as well. You also don't have to wait for your ECSA certificate. You can provide the testing results with the application and forward your certificate once you receive it.
<<

DrivinTin

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:58 am

BillV:  Thanks for all the info you share here on the board.  At this point we are playing the game of will the background check beat the ECSA certificate in the mail.  I am currently placing the spread on EC-C, but we shall see who wins sooner hopefully than later.  :)
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

j0rDy

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:31 am

BillV wrote:It will be released mid-March. The courseware, as far as I know, is ready. I have to assume they are waiting on new exam questions. That being said, I believe the objectives will be updated so any current study guides will not be aligned properly with v7 (but may still help prepare on some of the topics).

I know the ID card suggestion has come up in the past but I don't know how in-depth they looked at it.

This is great news Bill, there is a lot of competition at the moment for CEH and i am sure the new version will put it ahead in the competition again.
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

furytech

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Does anyone know how much assembly language is required for the ECSA/LPT? I am taking the bootcamp at the end of September and the pre-course study material is the Shellcoder's Handbook which is all assembly. I have watched Vivek's videos on securitytube.net but I was just wondering how well I need to know it to pass the exam.
CEH, Security+, Network+, A+,
MCTS Configuring Windows 7
Previous

Return to ECSA - EC-Council Certified Security Analyst