looking for opinions - uk job front

<<

rabray

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:10 pm

looking for opinions - uk job front

Hi,

Curious about the views of the experienced.

Working away at security research and certification. Starting to find this to be the direction that I want to take my career in. It was many years ago after my first course but I had much to learn at that time to get this far.

I will be freeing up 1 day per week to totally focus on making progress.

I've written to some local companies offering my services, I would say at an extremely affordable rate. My thinking no better way to expand my skill and knowledge than in a role. In the mean time there are plenty of practice vm to use.

So far no takers on my offer, so I'm thinking I can offer to my services on my own for small enough projects. My only concern is the legal issues,  any tips here most welcome.

Any views about, being free 1 day per week, do you think there is a chance realistically a company could use someone for 1 day per week? (Sec company)

I've also joined the local owasp group to see what I can do there and learn from.
---------------------------------------
CEH, eCPPT, MCT, MCSA, MCDST, A+, Net+

Never been the flamin type.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: looking for opinions - uk job front

Rabray,

I'm curious, which part of UK?
<<

rabray

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Based in Scotland

<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:00 am

Don't know the Scottish market too well (just South of border), but I know from colleagues that the market isn't too strong at present.

However, this could be to your favour, if you can pitch your services either to companies looking to decrease wage bills of full-time staff but still need the skills/knowledge you provide, or organisations who are expanding despite the economic climate and find themselves in need of expertise but can't justify/need fulltime resource you could be a perfect fit.

Good luck in the hunt
<<

TheXero

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:53 am

Hey :)

I'm also in the UK, I only have the OSWP is terms of security certifications

It took me about 6 months to get a job after leaving school and I was using AP group (the recruitment agency)

I'm currently doing self study on Exploit Development and reverse engineering to better broaden my security knowledge and will be taking OSCP later this year

Personally, I would say 1 day per week is not enough to focus on making progress, IT/security changes everyday. Even though I work full time on an IT helpdesk, I spend most of my day doing research even though the helpdesk is one of my main priorities

~TheXero
Last edited by TheXero on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rabray

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:36 am

Should really have said 1 day during the week. I spend evenings and weekends also researching plus its part of my main job.

Thanks guys for your inputs.

<<

MaXe

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:11 am

TheXero wrote:I'm also in the UK, I only have the OSWP is terms of security certifications

It took me about 6 months to get a job after leaving school and I was using AP group (the recruitment agency)

~TheXero

You were quite lucky I'd say, but I'm glad on your behalf as always  ;D

In most of the companies I've applied for jobs at, I was told that more relevant candidates had been chosen (those with +5 years experience from a company and CISSP mostly), or that I should get more experience and get familiar with e.g. Metasploit, etc. (I would say I'm fairly "familiar" with most hacking related areas, but I'm working on my unicode overflow skills and many others whenever I have time ;) )

Anyway, good luck rabray, I'm sure if you search long enough and make some compromises personally along the way, perhaps the company you want to provide your services for wants 2 days, then you should go for that if it's possible.
I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to Career Central