Drop in email based viruses in December 2010

<<

Triban

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Drop in email based viruses in December 2010

Has anyone else seen a significant drop in virus counts from their email filter?  We had over 380 in November and December was at 25.  I have seen a trend from August with some decent drops but nothing as extreme as Decembers.  I guess one should be happy that there were almost no attempted attacks through email but I also don't want to find out our filter is not working properly.

As far as internal reports, everything is quiet.

Also if anyone has any decent trend resource sites to share, that would be great!
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

Data_Raid

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Re: Drop in email based viruses in December 2010

Spam also dropped in December which might be relevant to the decrease of email viruses. The drop might be short lived though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12126880

"The amount of junk e-mail being sent across the globe has seen a dramatic fall in recent months.

The volume of spam has dropped steadily since August, but the Christmas period saw a precipitous decline.

One security firm detected around 200 billion spam messages being sent each day in August, but just 50 billion in December.

While the reasons for the decline are not fully understood, spam watchers warn the lull may not last."

And: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12154118
"As best we can tell, they took a holiday," said Mr Cox. "The people running Rustock are running a business - albeit an illegitimate one - so maybe they needed time off too."
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

Triban

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: Drop in email based viruses in December 2010

Thanks Data_Raid.  I suppose that is possible.  Even the bad guys need a break.  It was just a huge difference from December 2009.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net