Need some guidance, newbie here!

<<

ingenierito25

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Need some guidance, newbie here!

Hi there!

First of all I must clarify that I´m from Spain so English is not my native language, sorry for all my little grammar mistakes  ;D

Nowadays I´m working as a System Administrator but I actually don´t have that much knowledge in networks.

Also I´m studying a computer degree in university and I´m really interested in the field of security.

Next semester I will have networks fundamentals, object oriented programming fundamentals and assembler fundamentals so I think it will be quite interesting for me.

I wass guessing what will be the best way to start in this security world. I know there is a lot of certifications out there and one of the most reccomended to start is Security+ from Comptia from which I´ve gathered good material.

But I was also thinking about something more technical too, where I can try all the learned techniques and have some "fun" experimenting. I´ve read about the hacking dojo and the owner seems to be a very legit and capable guy, and the fee doesn´t seem abusive to me.

I´ve also taking a look at the CEH certificaction but it seems more a bunch of script kiddies tools. In the other hand, having a real mentor that can guide seems to be really helpful.

So, what do you think? Will be it ok to compaginate both or it will be better to start with the security+ and then move forward? I am afraid that I get bored learning too much technical stuff so I hope that I can fulfill the requirements in the hacking dojo.

Thank you a lot and sorry for my mistakes again, I´m trying really hard to learn english!

Regards!
<<

ziggy_567

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: Need some guidance, newbie here!

Welcome to EH-Net!

I have not personally taken the C|EH or Hacking Dojo classes (although I have worked through the Heorot disks). However, I would say that the Security+ is such good place to start because it gives you a broad foundation that you can build upon with more in depth training about a particular aspect of computer security. Also, the Security+ material should not take you a great deal of time to get under your belt. The hardest part of the Security+ in my opinion, is the way they have worded a lot of the questions. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it is, but many of the questions are pretty confusing when you read them. The test, though, is not hard once you get a good foundation in security and get a feel for the style of questions they will ask you.
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Welcome to the club!

If you want something a bit more hands on, you can try your hands at OSCP from Offensive Security.  There are quite a few people here with this certification.  I am sure that they can tell you more.

http://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

ingenierito25

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:04 am

Hi!

Thanks for your replies guys, I really appreciate your help. So, it seems then that I´ll be fine beginning with the Security+ certification. I think that the exam is only in english so I´ll have to be extra-careful with that subjective questions.

As for the OSCP, won´t it be too much for me now? I´ve read that people are now taking the eCPPT from elearningsecurity. It seems that they are realesing a student course now so maybe it will be nice to start with that one and then take the OSCP which seems quite interesting from what I´ve read.

Any thoughs?

Regards and thank you again for your help ^^
<<

rattis

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:50 am

The Security+ is only in English if you want it in English. I don't know about the study guides.

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/l ... urity.aspx

Languages: English, Spanish, German, Japanese, ChineseLanguages: English, Spanish, German, Japanese, Chinese

As for the OSCP / PWB. Even if you don't pass the exam, you'll learn a lot (or so others on the forum have said).

Personally, I'm going to read Professional Penetration Testing, Counter Hack Reloaded, and Hacking Exposed (either 1st or 6th edition) before even signing up for it. 2 of those books I'm already reading.

(as a side note, yes I did buy the first edition of Hacking Exposed when it came out but never got to it).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

ingenierito25

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:41 am

Hi chrisj, thanks for your reply! As for the study guides, there isn´t anything good in Spanish, I´ve already purchased "Comptia Security+: get certified get ahead" because many people swears by it.

Also I understand english a lot better that I can express myself in it so I think that it won´t be a problem for me if I´m prepared enough.

I´ve take a look of your book suggestions and they all seems quite interesting, one of them (the first one in your list) is from the creator of the hacking dojo, Mr. Thomas Wilhelm so I´m guessing again that it would be really cool to learn directly from him.

For now I´m decided to study the Comptia Security+ in order to get a basic understanding of a broad range of areas. My next step will find a good mentor/program that starts assuming 0 knowledge in order to be combined with the security+ certification.

For now I´m considering:

- eLearnsecurity: the student program has not been realeased yet but it seems that they´re doing really well in the pro package.

- OSCP: it seemed really cool the very first time I see it but also it seems that some previous knowledge is required in order to not get lost.

- Hackingdojo/heorot.net: I´ve seen some very nice reviews from it, I don´t know which are the minimum requirements but the first program at Hackingdojo seems to fit me well. I´ve sended a MP to the owner already.

If there is some other webpage/program with an instructor I´ll be glad to know.

Thank you a lot guys!
<<

rattis

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:01 pm

ingenierito25 wrote:Hi chrisj, thanks for your reply! As for the study guides, there isn´t anything good in Spanish, I´ve already purchased "Comptia Security+: get certified get ahead" because many people swears by it.

I´ve take a look of your book suggestions and they all seems quite interesting, one of them (the first one in your list) is from the creator of the hacking dojo, Mr. Thomas Wilhelm so I´m guessing again that it would be really cool to learn directly from him.

For now I´m decided to study the Comptia Security+ in order to get a basic understanding of a broad range of areas. My next step will find a good mentor/program that starts assuming 0 knowledge in order to be combined with the security+ certification.

- Hackingdojo/heorot.net: I´ve seen some very nice reviews from it, I don´t know which are the minimum requirements but the first program at Hackingdojo seems to fit me well. I´ve sended a MP to the owner already.

I swear by the Security+ Get Certified Get ahead book too.

Thomas Wilhelm is a member of this board. I'm thinking about doing his 1R class in March. Wanted to this month, but had problems come up.

As for Counter Hack Reloaded, that author Ed Skoudis, is the person that writes the annual holiday challenge for EH.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

ingenierito25

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Sweet! I´ve talked with Mr. Wilhelm and he was really nice with me, I´m eager to start with all the stuff.

So when my book arrives I´ll start to taking classes from him.

Certification regarding for now I´ll be fine with the security+ to take a solid theory foundation and then I´ll try to get as much "hands on" education is possible (hackingdojo + elearnsecurity + offensive security) and then I´ll see what are my options :)

Thank you all for your replies! Warm regards
<<

WCNA

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Here's a slightly different perspective. A while back I was listening to an interview where the author was pointing out how education is not the be-all, end-all. His point was that it doesn't do any good to train a million workers to make widget A if there's no market for them. Jobs are created by demand. If everyone in the world wants a particular fancy cell phone, someone will start making that cell phone and the workers will be trained to do exactly that.

That perspective is a bit like the network industry. Each job will have its own set of software that the company uses, its own procedures & training requirements. So while you may not have the exact skill set required for the job, certs demonstrate an ability to learn & to show an acceptable level of proficiency.

So for me at least, I'll do whatever it takes to get the job as far as certs go. After you're hired is where the real learning begins.

That said, if you are lacking  some cert they would require, offer to take it soon after being hired.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+

Return to General Certification